Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does anyone else need a turn-signal left on reminder?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For years I've seen old folks driving along (usually in their Caddys) with the signal going but not turning. I always marked it up to old age or forgetfulness, but I've done the same thing in my Tesla about 3-4 times in last 6 months. I haven't really had this problem with other cars.

I usually flick the turn-signal and then flick it the same way to turn it off. Last couple times I noticed this doe not always work. It only shuts off when I flicked it the other way. Today that didn't work and I had to flick it the same way. WTF.

So, instead of looking like the old guy who keeps forgetting, I think Tesla could easily incorporate a reminder chime/tone if the signal is left on and you continue to drive for 15-30 seconds. Or just shut if off after at that time. To be fancy they can even make this a selectable option.

Any one want/need this?

Reactions: Silver Rocket
FWIW, it sounds like you might have a very common hardware issue. I've had two replacements within the first year of ownership for this.

This should be the way it works:
  • Halfway ("to first bump/detent") should start temporary 3-blink (should NOT stay on)
  • All the way (beyond bump/detent) should keep it blinking
  • If a signal is on, halfway (first bump) either direction should cancel it
The hardware issue usually shows as it being hard to cancel one way, you mean to do a 3-blink and it stays on, or some other symptom that indicates the internal position isn't behaving like you expect.

I forget I'm signalling in this car once in a while, no more or less than any other car I don't think.

I have this now too, short left turn signal keeps going and used to cancel ok by quick tap in the same direction or opposite but sometimes it will not cancel at all. Just then activates long signal that seems to stick. Software or hardware?

I thought it was just me. I think I'm just doing a half left signal and it stays on, I then do what I think is a half lift "up" (to neutral) and I seem to overshoot and the right one then stays on. 35 years of driving and first time I've had this happen. Age or car? I've never really been able to feel a tactile "bump" like in my other cars, and its been like that since day one, so maybe it IS a hardware issue and not driver error (which I thought it's been)?

Do you guys feel a clear mechanical/tactile point in the "middle/neutral" position, like I thought I was used to in my other cars?

It's counter-intuitive to go in the direction of the signal to turn it off, but maybe I'll try that (remembering to "turn in the direction of the skid").

@CertLive, @9-Volt, @destructure00 : You all have the common hardware issue with the signal stalk based on your descriptions.

I recommend requesting service with the following description:

"Signal stalk does not behave as documented. Sometimes stays on unexpectedly, sometimes hard to cancel."​

That should get to the point without confusing them. The repair can be done by Mobile Service. Both times, they replaced the whole SCCM (center bit where both stalks come out of). Fun fact, this is a Mercedes part (yet apparently Mercedes doesn't have issues with it?).

I of course recommend sitting in your driveway and seeing if you can confirm it's not working correctly before doing the above. Once I figured out how it's supposed to work and just sat there playing with it, it became very clear it was the car and not me that was broken :)

@9-Volt for your question specifically, the detent is a bit more vague and "round"-feeling. It's not a clear switch, which is why it's often described as a "bump". It's more like the "bumps" that pretty much ever car door has where there's 2 or 3 positions it'll sit in. Actually, I suppose it's the opposite of that, but it's the best common thing I can explain with.

So, instead of looking like the old guy who keeps forgetting, I think Tesla could easily incorporate a reminder chime/tone if the signal is left on and you continue to drive for 15-30 seconds. Or just shut if off after at that time. To be fancy they can even make this a selectable option.

Any one want/need this?

Hmmm, my MX seems to already make more noise than my other cars and I don't hear that well at my age. BUT, it seems like a good idea. Different on the 3 ?

For years I've seen old folks driving along (usually in their Caddys) with the signal going but not turning. I always marked it up to old age or forgetfulness, but I've done the same thing in my Tesla about 3-4 times in last 6 months. I haven't really had this problem with other cars.

I usually flick the turn-signal and then flick it the same way to turn it off. Last couple times I noticed this doe not always work. It only shuts off when I flicked it the other way. Today that didn't work and I had to flick it the same way. WTF.

Any one want/need this?

Yes. Even though I know how to drive. ;)

@CertLive, @9-Volt, @destructure00 : You all have the common hardware issue with the signal stalk based on your descriptions.

I recommend requesting service with the following description:

"Signal stalk does not behave as documented. Sometimes stays on unexpectedly, sometimes hard to cancel."​

That should get to the point without confusing them. The repair can be done by Mobile Service. Both times, they replaced the whole SCCM (center bit where both stalks come out of). Fun fact, this is a Mercedes part (yet apparently Mercedes doesn't have issues with it?).

I of course recommend sitting in your driveway and seeing if you can confirm it's not working correctly before doing the above. Once I figured out how it's supposed to work and just sat there playing with it, it became very clear it was the car and not me that was broken :)

@9-Volt for your question specifically, the detent is a bit more vague and "round"-feeling. It's not a clear switch, which is why it's often described as a "bump". It's more like the "bumps" that pretty much ever car door has where there's 2 or 3 positions it'll sit in. Actually, I suppose it's the opposite of that, but it's the best common thing I can explain with.

Oh well that will add to the list off issues I have currently. If only I knew Tesla have no quality control before buying.

So, instead of looking like the old guy who keeps forgetting, I think Tesla could easily incorporate a reminder...

It already comes with a 'reminder'. It's that green blinky LED thingy.....

I haven't had an issue with erratic behavior in the turn stalk for regular manual use. But i have noticed in the past that if I force-canceled AP/NoA while the blinker was on, that it was a bit tricky to get it to shut off. I had to push the stick the opposite way to shut it off.

This particular issue felt like a software issue to me, and it's been a while since I've encountered this scenario, so I dunno if it's fixed or not.

I would also prefer the clicky noise to be just a tad louder than it currently is. well, louder is a problematic descriptor... Maybe my preference is a click at a different frequency that is better at not being drowned out by ambient noise.

Reactions: aTri

Any one want/need this?

I've thought a few times that an Emoji on the screen after 15 seconds would be a good add-on. I have the speakers up....Often. Certainly don't hear a clicker!