Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does FSD Beta transfer to a new purchase?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I believe only about 10% users now paid for FSD, so if Tesla builds 1 Million cars,
overall the additional revenue per car build would be ($15k x 1 M x 10%) / 1 M = $1.5k

If average price of a car is $75k, the FSD added revenue of $1.5k per car sold is 2%.

Why not adding a mandatory FSD 2% option to each car (like the $1.2k Destination fee) so 100% of the users will get FSD !!!

Note: I imagine that this is the way the Supercharger network get financed by taking a little percentage of each car sold.
That is a good idea. Twit Chief Twit!

• Funny
Reactions: DerbyDave
Upvote 0
I believe only about 10% users now paid for FSD, so if Tesla builds 1 Million cars,
overall the additional revenue per car build would be ($15k x 1 M x 10%) / 1 M = $1.5k

If average price of a car is $75k, the FSD added revenue of $1.5k per car sold is 2%.

Why not adding a mandatory FSD 2% option to each car (like the $1.2k Destination fee) so 100% of the users will get FSD !!!

Note: I imagine that this is the way the Supercharger network get financed by taking a little percentage of each car sold.

I like the idea, but the reality is if they went that route 90% of the buyers would complain they are being forced to pay something they don't want and say they are fine with base AP. Its a no win situation.

Upvote 0

Your math is off, which is throwing off your thought process. If only 10% of the buyers paid for FSD, then presumably only 10% of the buyers wanted it.

So for those buyers, if the car is 75k, then the cost of the FSD is 20% of that amount in addition. If you want to make FSD available on all cars, then it would be a 20% price increase across the board, not 2%.

Now - how much of that 20% would be pure profit (since making a copy of software code obviously costs nothing) would depend on the hardware. If every car built ALREADY is getting all the hardware to make FSD work, and for no additional cost / option selection at ordering.... Then whatever they charge for FSD is pure profit. Should it be cheaper? Sure, as a paying customer I'd certainly like to pay less. But as a seller, I'd like it to be more b/c then I make more.

Either way though.... FSD doesn't work yet, so people are paying for a pipe dream, and that seems scammy, especially with how many deadlines he has blown right through (Cybertruck anyone?)

Upvote 0