Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does hard driving put a strain on the electric motors?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know with an ICE car driving it like you stole it puts a heavy strain on the engine/trans and will greatly reduce their life. What about electric cars? Will having a heavy foot cause excessive wear?

In theory, yes, you're pushing the motors harder, leading to more heating in the windings and wires. In practice, I doubt there'll be any measurable difference in wear or failure rates for anything you can do on the streets. Electric motors tend to be a lot more reliable and less subject to wear.

Yes, of course driving with energy puts more heat load and rotational torque into the motor wearing it out faster.

It's one reason the P3D is more expensive. Supposedly better testing + increased warranty costs.

That said, it won't be anything like the wear on a gas engine. far more moving parts in that type of engine that wear when you push it hard, compared to an electric motor.

Grossly oversimplifying it, but ICE's are 25-40% efficient (poor gasoline - great diesels). Electric motors are 90-95% efficient. That which isn't converted to power is converted to heat. So......the electric motor, due to its much greater efficiency, will not produce nearly as much excess heat as an ICE (which is why ICE's have multiple cooling fluids, typically water and oil). So while you will increase the heat, which is the enemy of both, you won't increase nearly as much as with an ICE, so it won't be as negatively affected.

There's going to be more strain on the drivetrain, sure. The motor itself isn't likely to be the weak link, though. It is the gearing and housing, plus I'm far more worried about the increased wear on the battery than on the motor or even drive unit overall.

Reactions: David99
I accelerate As Fast As I Can every chance I get.
I love my Model 3.
The gears in the drive train must be force-rated. I remember Force = Mass x Acceleration.
If the gear teeth are rated to withstand the Force the motor puts on them at max acceleration, they should be OK for the life of the car unless they are defective.
I cannot get enough of my car. I wish my commute was longer.

• Love
Reactions: gene
I accelerate As Fast As I Can every chance I get.
I love my Model 3.
The gears in the drive train must be force-rated. I remember Force = Mass x Acceleration.
If the gear teeth are rated to withstand the Force the motor puts on them at max acceleration, they should be OK for the life of the car unless they are defective.
I cannot get enough of my car. I wish my commute was longer.

It's not that simple. You're describing an overload failure mode, which is just one of the ways parts can fail. Much more common is a fatigue failure, where a part can take the load, but fails after the load is put on and taken off a bunch of times - each time it takes the load, it does a tiny bit of damage that adds up over time.

With gears, that'd typically be a crack starting at the base of a tooth and gradually growing until the tooth snaps off.

I do think Tesla designed the system to handle a fair amount of abuse for an extended period, but all mechanical systems wear with use over time.

It's not that simple. You're describing an overload failure mode, which is just one of the ways parts can fail. Much more common is a fatigue failure, where a part can take the load, but fails after the load is put on and taken off a bunch of times - each time it takes the load, it does a tiny bit of damage that adds up over time.

With gears, that'd typically be a crack starting at the base of a tooth and gradually growing until the tooth snaps off.

I do think Tesla designed the system to handle a fair amount of abuse for an extended period, but all mechanical systems wear with use over time.
Yep. I agree.
The chances are very slim to none.
I love EV. Simple tranny = fewer parts.

Reactions: APotatoGod
There's going to be more strain on the drivetrain, sure. The motor itself isn't likely to be the weak link, though. It is the gearing and housing, plus I'm far more worried about the increased wear on the battery than on the motor or even drive unit overall.

Wear on the battery will be in the form of high discharge rates. And for that, you'd be most harsh with a performance or AWD since they power two motors instead of one. Given how many cells there are, I doubt this will really do much to the batteries in the Model 3 since the draw is shared across so many cells and the overall draw is not significant individually.

Wear on the battery will be in the form of high discharge rates. And for that, you'd be most harsh with a performance or AWD since they power two motors instead of one. Given how many cells there are, I doubt this will really do much to the batteries in the Model 3 since the draw is shared across so many cells and the overall draw is not significant individually.
The RWD probably not, yeah, but the P is inherently at the border of cooking the battery (and maybe the power inverter). The degradation per kW is non-linear, the only question is how much Tesla decided to tolerate.

Reactions: TrumpetTitan
The RWD probably not, yeah, but the P is inherently at the border of cooking the battery (and maybe the power inverter). The degradation per kW is non-linear, the only question is how much Tesla decided to tolerate.

I guarantee part of the cost of the P3D is Tesla planning on additional warranty repairs of the motors in that version of the car.

On the motors themselves? Not especially

Certainly on the transmission.

So much so that Tesla even tried to limit the Ludicrous runs with one of the P versions of the Model S, but I think they caved into pressure to remove the limitation. I typically take off fast, but rarely to the extreme levels the P3D is capable of.

I make up for it by slowing down more than average for road issues (construction, pot holes, etc). I guess I care more about my suspension than my transmission.

I doubt I'll keep it for more than 3-5 years.

My next car will be FSD capable. Err, I mean for real this time.