Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does installing a hitch void your M3 warranty?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The “Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act” (in the United States) refers to the fact that a manufacturer cannot void your warranty if you install something from a 3rd party, such as a trailer hitch. The problem, I believe, is if the car manual says towing is not allowed, I believe Tesla can void the warranty on that basis.

Also, pretty sure if a hitch is installed that is prima fascie evidence of towing.

• Informative
Reactions: dakhlkt22
The “Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act” (in the United States) refers to the fact that a manufacturer cannot void your warranty if you install something from a 3rd party, such as a trailer hitch. The problem, I believe, is if the car manual says towing is not allowed, I believe Tesla can void the warranty on that basis.

Also, pretty sure if a hitch is installed that is prima fascie evidence of towing.
here is what I found in the manual about towing. It refers to a trailer and not a bike rack or hitch basket. But your noted concern is valid and gives me pause.

1679362819575.png

• Informative
Reactions: dakhlkt22
here is what I found in the manual about towing. It refers to a trailer and not a bike rack or hitch basket. But your noted concern is valid and gives me pause.

View attachment 919720

"May" meaning Tesla knows they have no leg to stand on. Otherwise, they would say "Will". Always a reason statements are made in the manner they are made - when reviewed by a legal team.

Read...

"May" meaning Tesla knows they have no leg to stand on. Otherwise, they would say "Will". Always a reason statements are made in the manner they are made - when reviewed by a legal team.

Read...
I would assume “may” refers to what may happen if there is an issue and the install is found to be defective. It’s quite reasonable that if someone screws up the install and damages the vehicle, they’re not going to warranty at least that part of the vehicle.

This is my understanding as to when Tesla can “void” the warranty:

1. The installation of any 3rd party item must be done “correctly.” It if is not, Tesla can refuse to fix any item impacted by a poor quality installation.
  2. If you tow, you are in violation of the car manual. If anything needs to be repaired that could have been impacted by towing, such as the suspension, drive motors, etc., Tesla can refuse to fix it.
In neither case, can Tesla void the total warranty.

View attachment 919720
Does carrying a bike constitute "towing"? Although the people who camped near us on Labor Day weekend looked extra comfy because of all the stuff they brought to their campsite in their towed trailer, I'm pretty sure we're not gonna buy a trailer. We would, however, be very interested in a tow hitch just for carrying 4 family bikes if we wouldn't void any warranties.