Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does it make sense to own a Tesla or other EV's in So Cal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did place an order for an in-stock MY LR and if I go thru with this, it'll be my first BEV. I didn't do enough research before I ordered but it's fine if I lost $250 should I elect to not go thru with this order. So I did some research today and found that SCE doesn't really have cheap EV rates like they used to. Does it still make sense to own one as I think SC stations rates aren't that cheap either? Thanks for your insight!

I did place an order for an in-stock MY LR and if I go thru with this, it'll be my first BEV. I didn't do enough research before I ordered but it's fine if I lost $250 should I elect to not go thru with this order. So I did some research today and found that SCE doesn't really have cheap EV rates like they used to. Does it still make sense to own one as I think SC stations rates aren't that cheap either? Thanks for your insight!

What’s your definition of “SoCal?” o_O My daughter has a Bolt in San Diego, and it is perfect there. And she does not have charging at home. No brainer for the EV life there. LA might be a different story, though.

Since you mention superchargers… do you plan on road tripping the car? And, do you have access to L2 charging at home. Those are two major EV considerations spin matter where you are.

Reactions: Rocky_H
What’s your definition of “SoCal?” o_O My daughter has a Bolt in San Diego, and it is perfect there. And she does not have charging at home. No brainer for the EV life there. LA might be a different story, though.

Since you mention superchargers… do you plan on road tripping the car? And, do you have access to L2 charging at home. Those are two major EV considerations spin matter where you are.
main use for this car is for work commute and not really worry about road trips really. I will install a L2 charger at home. I'm in the LA suburb.

Reactions: pilotSteve
1. Do you have dedicated charging at home? If no, then don't get an EV
2. Do you do long road trips and just HATE stopping? If yes, then don't get an EV

Otherwise, it's pretty much a YES for an EV

There are positives and negatives to owning a BEV only you can decide what’s best for you, a blanket question will get blanket answers.
if you have specific questions there are a number of knowledgeable people here that can answer them and give you the information you need to decide if the conversion is right for you.

If you can charge at home esp at off peak hours it's still cheaper. And if you get the Performance version it will cover the heavy right foot requirement.

Reactions: Joe Schmoe88
appreciate the replies! let me try to be more specific.. This will be primarily used for work commute and no road trips in mind. We have a family van for that. I will get a L2 charger if I go thru with this. My commute is 70 miles RT and there's no work chargers set up.

Here's SCE TOU-D-Prime with the lowest rate from 9 PM ending at 4 PM for $0.22/kWh or 19 hours out of 24 hours in a day :

TOU_Rates_TOU-D-Prime-Winter-WD_10012022.jpg

TOU_Rates_TOU-D-Prime-Winter-WE_10012022.jpg

Let's say your Model Y battery is 81 kWh that's good for 330 miles, then:

81 kWh x $0.22= $17.82 for 330 miles or 5.4 cents per mile which is reasonable.

Toyota Camry gas tank is 16 gallons for 32 mpg or 512-mile range.

If gas is about $4, then a gas tank is $4 x 16 Gallons = $64 for a 512-mile range.

$64/512miles = $0.125 per mile, which is doubling the expense of what you got on your Model Y

And the best part no more going to the gas station! You can drive by all those suckers at the pump, lololo as you drive by.
This turned out to be more of an eye opener for me than I was expecting. You don’t realize how much time you spend getting gas, coordinating your schedule around filling up, etc until you don’t do it anymore.

Right click and download a copy (as .XLSX) and open it up. File / Download / Microsoft Excel (.xlsx) Adjust the figures in red to determine cost / mile between EV and ICE.

Last edited:
Your situation is possibly the perfect use case for an EV of any kind. 1. Own your home and can control charging time and rates 2. Need to commute routinely which means there is a significant existing gas bill to offset. 3. Have alternate means of transport for infrequent road trips.

The biggest benefit you will likely report in a few months is not the daily cost savings, but the complete lifestyle change. No gas stations, no keys, no mechanic. Just get in and drive or have it drive for you. Depending on the length of your trips and size of your family, you may find yourself using the MY instead of your van.

Reactions: zoomer0056