Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does it make sense to own a Tesla or other EV's in So Cal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yet brakes seize up from lack of use. Brake hold is not = to actually using the brakes.
Yes, I am aware that the calipers can seize due to lack of use in areas where they salt the roads. But, what is the difference between using the brakes with auto hold versus deceleration? The range of motion the same. Back when Tesla originally made the brake use recommendation, was auto hold using the disc brakes then? (Other cars have used parking brakes for auto hold in the past.)

It's *possible* (and I'd have to look it up to verify) but HOLD is the rears only, so probably the parking brake

I looked, but couldn't find anything :(
I thought so too. But when I watched the brake pedal move in and out with auto hold, it looked like it is using the conventional brakes. The parking brake is mechanically separate from the hydraulic disc brakes and I don’t think would cause brake pedal movement.

Reactions: DonaldBecker
It's *possible* (and I'd have to look it up to verify) but HOLD is the rears only, so probably the parking brake

I looked, but couldn't find anything :(
I looked a little too... The 3/Y originally had a separate, small set of calipers on the rear brakes for parking brake. Those were actuated by a screw-drive servo. The newer 3/Y have dual-purpose rear calipers that combine the normal hydraulic pistons with the screw drive. They are pseudo mechanically separate. But, I could not find anything that talked about which brakes they use for auto-hold.

My gut is that they are using the hydraulic brakes because the car already has the function for emergency braking, hydraulic brakes are quicker and quieter than the parking brake actuator, and the pedal is moving (thought, it is possible it could move with the servo actuation in dual-purpose calipers.)
In northern climates you need to actually brake to keep the rotors clean and free if rust…
Brake rotors get a light rust coating everywhere. But that is independent of seizing calipers. (But using the hydraulic brakes occasionally would keep them prettier.) Also:
Brake Disc Wiping

To ensure brakes remain responsive in cold and wet weather, Model Y is equipped with brake disc wiping. When cold and wet weather is detected, this feature repeatedly applies an imperceptible amount of brake force to remove water from the surface of the brake discs.

"Does it make sense to own a Tesla or other EV's in So Cal?"

Well given that you can put solar panels on your roof it makes more sense than owning one in say Seattle 🤣

Given that SoCal is the largest market for Tesla and that the streets of LA are full of Teslas, I can’t imagine any place where it makes more sense to own a Tesla.

Reactions: pilotSteve
I very much agree with the sentiment of your post but i do think it’s high time we stop pretending that EVs don’t need maintenance or repairs.

It’s just not true.
They do need maintenance, but it's a lot less and you don't need to go to a mechanic for it. Change cabin air filter and wipers by yourself once a year. Get the tires swapped at a tire shop every few years and have the brakes cleaned and checked at the same time. Tesla service will rotate your tires and change the LV battery in your driveway along with most other minor repairs.

Hmm not really as this is a specific EV issue. The issue is an issue because of strong regen which means the brakes are rarely used. That lack of use over time means the lubricants and seals age/dry up and eventually breakdown, then the brakes end up seizing. Thus if you use them regularly every blue moon that will keep them from degrading over time.
Lol that’s easy turn on the autopilot toggle;)

Reactions: thesmokingman
Yes, I am aware of that. But isn’t that an issue for cars in areas where they salt the roads in winter?

Where you get a lot of rain/ humidity. On a car that uses its brakes often, that stuff will easily boil off. On a Tesla, it won't, so you can get rust. Rust on the main pad face and rotors is nothing, that will burn off quick enough when you actually brake, but you don't want your sliding pins or sides of pads to stick.

I haven't done mine yet, but plan on it when I switch back to summer tires in April. I have a MYLR, so my calipers are pain... each pad (8 total!) Is held in by 2 bolts from what I can tell, so that means I'm going to have to remove 16 bolts just to do the service (not including the 5 on each wheel). I like working on cars, so it's not a major issue, but it is a nuisance.

So was changing the cabin air filter. I can do my Prius in like 30sec with 0 tools, no exaggeration. The Tesla takes a few minutes because I have to remove my all weather mats, take off a panel without breaking clips, unscrew some stuff then remove and install TWO filters.

Reactions: heapmaster
I have a MYLR, so my calipers are pain... each pad (8 total!) Is held in by 2 bolts from what I can tell, so that means I'm going to have to remove 16 bolts just to do the service (not including the 5 on each wheel).
I have done a bunch of brake jobs and tons of other vehicle maintenance. Are you saying the MY standard brake calipers have the pads bolted to the calipers? That is the first I have heard of anything like that. Usually, the pads float inside the carrier brackets while the calipers float on the pins. My understanding is that the seize risk is the calipers on the pins. No?

I have done a bunch of brake jobs and tons of other vehicle maintenance. Are you saying the MY standard brake calipers have the pads bolted to the calipers? That is the first I have heard of anything like that. Usually, the pads float inside the carrier brackets while the calipers float on the pins. My understanding is that the seize risk is the calipers on the pins. No?
The pads float and are held in place by the pins. Standard disk brake setup, very easy to service.

It's not a bad car really. Maybe it has a face only a mother can love, but we've taken some good long trips in it. We got a Trim level 5 with the ATP (Advanced Technology Package) so basically about as nice as you can get. That helps. So does the amount that it can carry (It's a V)

For commuting, running around locally, charging at home and never needing public charging, the question is it worth it while questioning power costs suggests a decision driven by economics.
It is cheaper ti run an EV and they are much nicer to drive and are more convenient than an ICE vehicle.
However, is a Tesla the right choice for this? Based on economics I don’t think so. A Chevy Bolt is a massively cheaper and does exactly what is needed as we don’t need to worry about the downsides of slow charging on unreliable public chargers.
Spending more on a Tesla is worth it for access to the supercharger network which enables stress free, convenient road trips. It’s also a more performance oriented car that us physically larger and has better tech. But you pay for all that. And you pay a lot.

Reactions: Fourdoor