Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does my Model S (December/2013) have the wiring for a dashcam?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am curious if my Model S, manufacturers in December 2013 has the 'constant' always on wiring above the headliner for a dash-cam?
I am interested in getting the newly released BlackVue DR900S-2H, and am wondering if my car has the wiring that is needed to support that system rather than needing the extra battery pack stuff.

Also, if there are any good recommendations for installers in the Phoenix, AZ area I would appreciate anyone giving me their experience. Thank you!

Yes, I've read that. That is why I'm asking if December 2013 cars have the 4-pin, 3 wire connector for always on power. That article mentions some cars in late 2013 to early 2014 might not have it so I'm asking if anyone else who might have December 2013 cars can assist with confirming if that connector is there.
And if not, who might be a good installer that knows how to connect the dashcam so there is no wiring showing and knows how to wire these cameras up in Tesla's.

@darrelld, so with that wiring harness, you did not need to use either the power magic battery pack, the power magic pro, OR the power magic ultra battery?
If so, how does the BlackVue connect directly to that harness you linked to?

I just cut the wires on the other side of the OBD fuse and hardwired the Blackvue to that use butt splices. Ran the Blackvue wires behind headliner and along A pillar on the drivers side to ODB adapter right above the dead pedal.

No power magic used in my case but you could use it to limit the run time on the camera.

• Helpful
Reactions: P85_DA
The BlackVue has a parking mode ...r u saying u don’t want recording than ? Only when driving ? The only reason to go thru this wiring effort is to allow to run in parking mode and for cleaner install ..if u just want to record when driving just plug into 12v in console

Reactions: Corsair
How about simply pulling down the mike grille in the headliner (pull from the side that faces you, not the windshield)? It will swivel down. Look on the back side for a flat connector taped there, or maybe tucked under the headliner. Get out a test meter and check it. You need 2 pins that give 12V (one is likely going to give a lower voltage).

How about simply pulling down the mike grille in the headliner (pull from the side that faces you, not the windshield)? It will swivel down. Look on the back side for a flat connector taped there, or maybe tucked under the headliner. Get out a test meter and check it. You need 2 pins that give 12V (one is likely going to give a lower voltage).

Not all S have that. There was a window starting in late 2013 where that extra connector isn’t there. Guess where in that window my car is.

• Funny
Reactions: P85_DA
The BlackVue has a parking mode ...r u saying u don’t want recording than ? Only when driving ? The only reason to go thru this wiring effort is to allow to run in parking mode and for cleaner install ..if u just want to record when driving just plug into 12v in console
I want the 'cleaner install' part of that statement. I don't want wires hanging down from my windshield. You are correct though, I only want to record while the car is on. I DO want it to record when in park. Just not when the car is 'off'

Ok probably some semantics ..the car does “sleep” ...but in park mode (camera) will still record provided it has power ...the only way to turn cam off is physically unplug power from cam ...

I want the 'cleaner install' part of that statement. I don't want wires hanging down from my windshield. You are correct though, I only want to record while the car is on. I DO want it to record when in park. Just not when the car is 'off'

My 2014 Model S OBD plug is always powered on and my Blackvue runs 24hrs, park mode enabled with no flashing lights or wifi lights when not in motion.

The advantage of running this way is clearly shown in this video.

I have not noticed any extra battery drain and power consumption is minimal with the Blackvue 750 2CH.
15 Things the DR750S Series Dashcam Does Better - BlackVue