TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

OBD port and accessories PSA

Discussion in 'Model S' started by battleroyale, Apr 20, 2018.

1. battleroyale

battleroyale Member

Just got my vehicle back from the SC for some warranty work and had them run a check on my logs since I've had issues with the last two updates failing to download several times.

The ran a bunch of tests and from what they told me as the vehicle is downloading or validating the firmware the draw of 12 volt power from the OBD II port to my dash cam causes it to glitch and download fail (had to them push the last 2 updates OTA). Said they've been seeing it pop up on vehicles that have something hooked up to the OBD port and pulling constant power. They were able to test and replicate the issue (mobile app said I had a new update ready but it was the SC testing to replicate the issue).

Recommended to disconnect from the OBD II port when a firmware update comes out or time it so that the dashcam will auto shut off.

Thought I'd share for anyone having issues with not getting firmware updates. Call in and have them check your logs for failed downloads and if you have dashcam or other accessory drawing power from the OBD II port disconnect it see if that helps.

• Informative x 8
    • Like x 2
  2. lion2k3

lion2k3 New Member

This is a very good PSA. I'm having the same issue with my MS 100D (Nov 2017). Had to take it in in March after 4 out of 5 update failures. The OBD II device was the issue (although the previous 5+ updates worked fine). However, I stopped receiving updates, so I had to bring it back in earlier this month. They pushed the latest update but can longer get updates to install even without the OBD II device in it.

3. Fcautela1

Fcautela1 Member

Just realized I have the same issue! Thank You!

Unplugged Dash Cam, Rebooted MCU, Started downloading something... Hopefully new update.

Thank You!

4. battleroyale

battleroyale Member

My SC rolled my update back and reinstalled. Guess I'll have to wait and see if the 2018.16 will download this time.

5. battleroyale

battleroyale Member

Also heard that after a couple of failed downloads the vehicle gets put on a timeout list of sorts.

6. Firecat

Firecat Member

Do we know if this is only for always-on power provided by the OBD II port, or is it any device drawing always-on 12V power (dashcam wired through the unused cable behind the speaker grill)?

7. mblakele

mblakele DON'T PANIC

It may vary by build or phase of the moon too. But FWIW... my 2016-Q1 90D gets updates on a regular basis, once a month or so, and it has two cameras powered by that unused cable.

Another possible factor: @battleroyale was your vehicle plugged in when these updates failed?

• Informative x 2
  8. battleroyale

battleroyale Member

My car wasn't plugged in. It was from the always on power OBDII port (my dashcams are on 24/7). The SC said that the car goes through some sort of validation cycle and if the car senses 12 volt power being drawn from the OBDII port it could cause the download failure. They were able to replicate it and said they've been seeing it happen more often. (Pre autopilot P85+)

9. SilkySmooth

SilkySmooth Member

Damn. Just bought an Owl cam and now wonder if I want to deal with this. I guess I will just have to remember to unplug when updating, which at present requires a trip to the car anyway, though in the future I'd like to think we can trigger an update from the app. Thanks for the PSA.

10. battleroyale

battleroyale Member

Thats what I plan on doing when an update starts to roll out and vehicle is parked and on wifi.

11. SilkySmooth

SilkySmooth Member

12. battleroyale

battleroyale Member

Possibility. I think it may have started with a recent firmware update that added some type of systems check of 12volt power drain.

13. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

Yeah, people have had power attached to the OBD port for years. Not sure why they would care now or ever about what is using that source of power. If they want to stop accessory usage, this is going to be a mess. And especially when we have no way to know when an update is coming. Now if they mean pull the power drain when you tell the update to install, okay, but I can’t think of any reason this was added.

14. SilkySmooth

SilkySmooth Member

Just updated successfully from 20.x to 21.9 with the Owl cam plugged into the OBD port.

• Informative x 1
  15. battleroyale

battleroyale Member

Not sure what causes the error but I've had the service center push the latest firmware updates twice while my dash cam was connected to the ODB2 port and they downloaded fine.

Could also have been corrected in 14.2 or 18.2.

• Like x 1
  16. neo17

neo17 Member

Never had any problems downloading firmware while having Blackvue Dr650s-2ch plugged into the OBD port, but ever since 18.2 my Blackvue dashcam does not seem to be able to draw enough current to boot successfully and record videos.

17. battleroyale

battleroyale Member

Seems to depend on vehicle configuration (options etc) and firmware version.

18. battleroyale

battleroyale Member

Looks like this was fixed in 14 or 18.

Just downloaded and installed 2018.24.1 with my blackvue plugged into the obdII port.

19. whitex

whitex Well-Known Member

#19 whitex, Jun 30, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2018
    The unused 12V in the microphone grill is on its own circuit and fuse direct from the 12V battery (it's the Alarm fuse, since it's used for European car alarm option). I've had 4 Teslas, one of them new MCU, using it for dashcam, no problems getting updates or otherwise - the only side effect is slightly higher vampire drain as the dashcams run 24/7, but not enough to trip a Tesla service warning (which happens if the 12V battery needs to be topped off from the HV battery too often).