Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Probably canceling my model x order

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My model x should be ready for pick up in the next few weeks but I am thinking of cancelling after the cyber truck event. There are a few things I see that the cyber truck has and I am anticipating Model X and Model S will get as updates in the next year. I will list them below and I am curious to see what the rest of you think.

- 800V Architecture
- Steer by wire
- 48V wiring
- Front bumper camera
- V2H
- 123kW battery
- Led interior lights

My model x should be ready for pick up in the next few weeks but I am thinking of cancelling after the cyber truck event. There are a few things I see that the cyber truck has and I am anticipating Model X and Model S will get as updates in the next year. I will list them below and I am curious to see what the rest of you think.

- 800V Architecture
- Steer by wire
- 48V wiring
- Front bumper camera
- V2H
- 123kW battery
- Led interior lights
- 800V Architecture Nope
- Steer by wire Nope
- 48V wiring Nope
- Front bumper camera Likely
- V2H Nope
- 123kW battery Nope
- Led interior lights Likely

Reactions: spectrum

- 800V Architecture
- Steer by wire
- 48V wiring
- Front bumper camera
- V2H
- 123kW battery
- Led interior lights
That's a lot of dreaming!

- 800V Architecture Nope
- Steer by wire Nope
- 48V wiring Nope
- Front bumper camera Likely
- V2H Nope
- 123kW battery Nope
- Led interior lights Likely
Agree with most of your list other than Steer-by-Wire and 48v low- volt architecture.

The steer by wire will ultimately be a cost/weight/complexity savings but the yoke really should have been DbW in order to reduce the number of turns lock-to-lock as the Cybertruck is. This is the proper implementation of a race-style yoke. Swapping out a circular wheel for street driving with multiple turns lock-to-lock is stupid. No other way to say it. This one happening in 2024 is a possibility as I believe it's a technology Tesla wants in it's entire line sooner than later.

The 48v is the wave of the future. Not that Tesla has begun making all of their own components via vertical integration there's zero reason to stay with 12v. I'm sure they've got some 3rd party contracts to see out to the end and there will need to be some supply chain and assembly line adjustments to make it a reality in all vehicles but, given how quickly Tesla can do something like build a new Gigafactory now, this is all child's play by comparison. Because of all of this, this is also an update we could see in 2024.

All that said, would I cancel an order of an item I had a need (or at least a want) for due to this conjecture? No way. Even if we know it was coming there's nothing set in stone about just how long it would take to happen. Hell, even if Elon himself said it would be by Q3 2024 I wouldn't make any big plans on it actually happening. We all know how those promises happen.

With Tesla, it will happen when it happens and you're best just buying the best that meets your needs if you have a need/want to buy something.

Reactions: b_PJS and msm859
There are a few things I see that the cyber truck has and I am anticipating Model X and Model S will get as updates in the next year.

Sorry to poop on the parade but try 5 years...

S/X got a redesign relatively recently. That's a big investment, especially for a low volume vehicle. Don't expect another big redesign for a while.

48V in particular I expect to take some time. Introducing it with a new vehicle (CT) that's still ramping up makes sense - it's likely the supply chain availability for various components could be a problem, so a low volume vehicle is the place to start. Tesla wouldn't want to expose another vehicle to that risk until it's well mitigated, so expect CT to be ramped up first.

800V is a pretty big investment for a minor gain. It will hardly improve charging speed, these cars can pull 264kw on V3 and the packs can't support that much more (I'm skeptical of a 123kwh pack)

Steer by wire would make sense on these cars, especially the big X. Again Tesla will probably want to prove that out for more than a year before moving it to other models. Take some to see how it fares and incorporate those learnings into the next gen.

- Front bumper camera
- V2H
- LED interior lights

Sure, those are likely. Especially the front bumper camera. It seems like Tesla intends to bring that to all cars, eventually.

I don't blame you at all for wanting to switch to a CT. I've got a YP and am considering a CT deposit.. I didn't get the X in the first place to avoid the troublesome doors.

Aside from the aforementioned list of new stuff, it seems the truck also has a quieter interior and an improved ride.

Reactions: zoomer0056
Agree with most of your list other than Steer-by-Wire and 48v low- volt architecture.

The steer by wire will ultimately be a cost/weight/complexity savings but the yoke really should have been DbW in order to reduce the number of turns lock-to-lock as the Cybertruck is. This is the proper implementation of a race-style yoke. Swapping out a circular wheel for street driving with multiple turns lock-to-lock is stupid. No other way to say it. This one happening in 2024 is a possibility as I believe it's a technology Tesla wants in it's entire line sooner than later.

The 48v is the wave of the future. Not that Tesla has begun making all of their own components via vertical integration there's zero reason to stay with 12v. I'm sure they've got some 3rd party contracts to see out to the end and there will need to be some supply chain and assembly line adjustments to make it a reality in all vehicles but, given how quickly Tesla can do something like build a new Gigafactory now, this is all child's play by comparison. Because of all of this, this is also an update we could see in 2024.

All that said, would I cancel an order of an item I had a need (or at least a want) for due to this conjecture? No way. Even if we know it was coming there's nothing set in stone about just how long it would take to happen. Hell, even if Elon himself said it would be by Q3 2024 I wouldn't make any big plans on it actually happening. We all know how those promises happen.

With Tesla, it will happen when it happens and you're best just buying the best that meets your needs if you have a need/want to buy something.
They didn't put those things in the Highland, which was just launched...so why do you think there's a chance in the S/X, the lowest selling vehicles in 2024?

In one of the Videos about the CT, one of the Tesla Engineers said the next vehicle to get 48v would be the new low cost, ("Model 2") so nothing will happen to existing cars until that happens. The Y is next up for a refresh, but again, the 3 just had one and these features aren't present.

I doubt we'll see these in the S/X for several years.

They didn't put those things in the Highland, which was just launched...so why do you think there's a chance in the S/X, the lowest selling vehicles in 2024?

In one of the Videos about the CT, one of the Tesla Engineers said the next vehicle to get 48v would be the new low cost, ("Model 2") so nothing will happen to existing cars until that happens. The Y is next up for a refresh, but again, the 3 just had one and these features aren't present.

I doubt we'll see these in the S/X for several years.
The 3/Y isn't Tesla's flagship vehicle so nobody expects them to get all the latest greatest cutting edge technology features and options.

The 3/Y isn't Tesla's flagship vehicle so nobody expects them to get all the latest greatest cutting edge technology features and options.
The 3/Y sell at much higher volume. The 48v architecture isn't a consumer benefit, it's a benefit for Tesla.

In recent years, the 3/Y have received many upgrades far before the S/X. Just off the top of my head:

Turn Signal Camera
Left scroll wheel customization
Change FSD profiles with right scroll wheel
Ambient lighting (Highland)
Matrix Lights
Heated wipers

There's next to 0 chance of those coming to the S/X in 2024. Again, the redesigned Highland didn't and the S/X being flagships doesn't apply to this nor is it consistently honored by Tesla.

The 3/Y sell at much higher volume. The 48v architecture isn't a consumer benefit, it's a benefit for Tesla.

In recent years, the 3/Y have received many upgrades far before the S/X. Just off the top of my head:

Turn Signal Camera
Left scroll wheel customization
Change FSD profiles with right scroll wheel
Ambient lighting (Highland)
Matrix Lights
Heated wipers

There's next to 0 chance of those coming to the S/X in 2024. Again, the redesigned Highland didn't and the S/X being flagships doesn't apply to this nor is it consistently honored by Tesla.
I owned 2014 Model S's w/heated wipers.

I owned 2014 Model S's w/heated wipers.
I was iffy on the wipers, which is why it was last. The point remains, that the 3/Y get many features before the S/X, sometimes a long time. The S/X did get HW4 first, but again, steer-by-wire and 48v require a complete change in the vehicle and 48v is more of a cost savings.

The CT was first, apparently...according to Tesla, the "Model 2" will be next...and eventually it will go to the 3/Y.

I was iffy on the wipers, which is why it was last. The point remains, that the 3/Y get many features before the S/X, sometimes a long time. The S/X did get HW4 first, but again, steer-by-wire and 48v require a complete change in the vehicle and 48v is more of a cost savings.

The CT was first, apparently...according to Tesla, the "Model 2" will be next...and eventually it will go to the 3/Y.
I still stand by my original prediction that we _may_ see some of the items from that list find their way into the S/X in 2024 and that I still wouldn't cancel my Model X order if I had one based on that possibility. You'll never own a Tesla if you're waiting for every single feature/option to be the latest version rumored to be introduced. That was my response to the original question by the OP about if they should take delivery or not.

I still stand by my original prediction that we _may_ see some of the items from that list find their way into the S/X in 2024 and that I still wouldn't cancel my Model X order if I had one based on that possibility. You'll never own a Tesla if you're waiting for every single feature/option to be the latest version rumored to be introduced. That was my response to the original question by the OP about if they should take delivery or not.
I think may is a bit optimistic. Again, the plan is currently to do a refresh to the MY prior to the MS/X and again, it bears repeating that they didn't use 48v or steer-by-wire in the Highland which was just refreshed 2 months ago.

But I agree, cancelling an order to wait on something is not ideal. How many have been waiting on a front bumper camera on the S/X, even though there is no tangible information stating it may be coming? It could be years before any of these things hit the S/X.

I think may is a bit optimistic. Again, the plan is currently to do a refresh to the MY prior to the MS/X and again, it bears repeating that they didn't use 48v or steer-by-wire in the Highland which was just refreshed 2 months ago.

But I agree, cancelling an order to wait on something is not ideal. How many have been waiting on a front bumper camera on the S/X, even though there is no tangible information stating it may be coming? It could be years before any of these things hit the S/X.
If you're so argumentative that you can't even find neutral ground with a statement as benign as "some of the items from that list may happen in 2024" for a car manufacturer that has a track record of being unpredictable then this conversation isn't going to go anywhere. You have no interest in hearing other people's opinion, only asserting your own.

There's no room for nuance in the real world anymore? We've become so polarized that we can't simply exist in a gray area ever even though this is where 99% of where life actually occurs?

Your post makes about as much sense as a meteorologist predicting either 0% or 100% chance of rain when all you're doing is guessing. Why not state 5% or 95% to save a little bit of wiggle room in case it does/doesn't rain? My statement is more in the 10-20% rang and you seem to only care about arguing over 10%.... why?

For someone who agrees with my actual point, I'm not really sure why you seem so hell-bent on instigating an argument about something neither of us has any definitive facts about. Users of this forum can be so argumentative about every. little. thing.

• Disagree
Reactions: uscbucsfan
If you're so argumentative that you can't even find neutral ground with a statement as benign as "some of the items from that list may happen in 2024" for a car manufacturer that has a track record of being unpredictable then this conversation isn't going to go anywhere. You have no interest in hearing other people's opinion, only asserting your own.

There's no room for nuance in the real world anymore? We've become so polarized that we can't simply exist in a gray area ever even though this is where 99% of where life actually occurs?

Your post makes about as much sense as a meteorologist predicting either 0% or 100% chance of rain when all you're doing is guessing. Why not state 5% or 95% to save a little bit of wiggle room in case it does/doesn't rain? My statement is more in the 10-20% rang and you seem to only care about arguing over 10%.... why?

For someone who agrees with my actual point, I'm not really sure why you seem so hell-bent on instigating an argument about something neither of us has any definitive facts about. Users of this forum can be so argumentative about every. little. thing.
It just doesn't sound like you understand the undertaking of adding either of those things to the S/X.

It would be a complete redesign of both models and we just had one recently by Tesla's standards and that's likely why they are saying the next vehicle to get those two options is the not yet released car.

Saying it may happen in 2024 is like saying Tela may release a 500 mile CT version next week. It's not going to happen, but sure...the possibility is greater than 0.