Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does new Ludicrous+ update increase performance of P90DL?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
True, but I'm not sure they would be able to do that in the space available.

The only detailed information I can find is for the 85KWh battery pack, things may have changed since this information was shared. That pack consists of 7104 cells across 16 modules. Each cell is 3.6vdc at 3350mAh with a maximum discharge rate of 4.8A. Each module is comprised of 6 groups of 74 cells, so a group is 74 cells in series and then 6 of those groups in parallel. So 74 cells gives a voltage of 266.4vdc which means something is off, because that would result in a group voltage of 1598.4vcd which I know isn't correct.

The math doesn't work out, but I'm backing into it. Tesla may be doing things different or sourcing parts different than what I can obtain detailed information on. Do we have any Tesla engineers here to shed some light? Is this information that Tesla is even sharing with the public?

Why would it take any more space to wire in series than in parallel?

And you have it wrong, it is 6 groups in series with 74 cells in parallel in each group. (Each module is about 25 volts. Then the modules are run in series.)

Info in the 100kWh pack is here: Pics/Info: Inside the Tesla 100 kWh Battery Pack

Summary:
  • 516 cells per module. That's 8,256 cells per pack, a ~16% increase vs the 85/90 packs.
  • The BMS reports a max discharge current of 1,760A for the P100D Ludicrous pack. The normal Ludicrous P90D/P85D packs report 1,520A. This makes perfect sense with scaling, since it's 74 vs 86 cells per group.
So the 100kWh pack has 16.2% more cells in parallel, with the same final voltage.

My point was that adding additional capacity, without adding voltage, would be difficult because of the physical limitations of space required to house another complete module.

They didn't add an additional module, they redesigned the modules to fit ~16% more cells in the same space.

Last edited:
Let's not be cherry picking numbers. There may have been ONE P90DL that has done 10.8 from TRC which had a unicorn v3 pack. Many others have not come close, especially those with v1 or v2 90kw packs.
Typically when public numbers are posted, it is from a single car possibly after averaging several runs. Typically that number is generated from a "real life" test by an automotive media group... Motor Trend, Card and Driver, etc.

I have yet to see a non-gutted P100DL go under 10.5. What's your source for 10.44 on a stock P100DL?
Wikipedia by way of TRC, trunk removed. I allow for Wikipedia rules for "Production Car".

List of fastest production cars by acceleration - Wikipedia

If you remove cars that have been modified by way of removal of interior parts, the Dodge at the top of the list is disqualified, as well as some others.

I don't agree with their allowances. Production should be "as it rolled off the assembly line".

The only detailed information I can find is for the 85KWh battery pack, things may have changed since this information was shared.
And you have it wrong, it is 6 groups in series with 74 cells in parallel in each group. (Each module is about 25 volts. Then the modules are run in series.)
That's the problem relying on information from the Internet. *I* was using information that was not current, which is why I qualified my statement.

Summary:
  • 516 cells per module. That's 8,256 cells per pack, a ~16% increase vs the 85/90 packs.
  • The BMS reports a max discharge current of 1,760A for the P100D Ludicrous pack. The normal Ludicrous P90D/P85D packs report 1,520A. This makes perfect sense with scaling, since it's 74 vs 86 cells per group.
Great information. I assume it's current and correct.

Why would it take any more space to wire in series than in parallel?
I think you know the answer, but it's not about how they're wired. It's about how to generation more amperage output without changing the overall voltage. If the groups are wired in series, you have to add a whole group (i.e. 86 more cells) which consumes more space.