Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does Sentry TeslaCam work?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been really puzzled by how the sentry dashcam works.
I always park in the same spot in the garage and a co-worker's car is always parked on the right side of mine.
So I would assume that the right-repeater cam would capture his arrival. Yet I don't see it in any videos of under Recent or Saved folders. When i get to work, I turn on sentry with no cars around at 8am. Yet all the videos for that day shows his car is already there. Another peculiar thing is every video under Recent folder contains roughly 1 hour of video.

So is mine working correctly? Does your folder contain all the interruptions from the whole day? Thats what I expect when people say it fills up the usb stick. My usb stick is a 64G formatted to fat32 using the uk utility. Is this not working ? I expected all interruptions to be rolled into saved folder for the day.

Heres an examine of all the videos in today's saved folder. None of the right repeater file shows my co-worker's car approaching.

So I got 10 min of recording in the saved folder and 1 hour in the recent folder and lost everything before then.

upload_2019-3-28_18-55-15.png

Recent is the dash cam buffer- it always has the last 1 hour the car was on (this is unrelated to sentry mode) and will overwrite the oldest files with the newest ones.

Saved is where any time you told dashcam to save the last 10 minutes goes (if you hit the dashcam button while it's recording)

It's also where Sentry mode saves the last 10 minutes if it's triggered into alert mode by someone approaching the car.

Nothing in saved is overwritten, so that's how a key can fill up if you don't clean it out.

So its the triggering into alert mode that is where my confusion is.
Some of the repeater videos recorded the garage lights changing and other cars passing behind my car.
When a car is parked closely next to mine, it doesn't trigger anything. Any reason why?