Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does Tesla provide driving data to insurance companies or law inforcement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unable to determine that a**holes license plate from the video?

Also, one thing I learned from a hit and run, if you follow the perp all the way to their place of residence, it is no longer considered a 'hit and run' by the police as they will show up and facilitate the exchange of insurance info. The DA will not file charges and prosecute. I had 911 on the phone the whole time as this a**hole rear ended me and drove off.

So, I've learned to follow them long enough to ID the plate. Will be getting dashcams asap as well.

OP, IIRC jason can get the data from the onboard cameras.
We got the license plate. Registration turned out to be expired and they don't live at the address anymore. Our Tesla was not drivable after the accident so no way to follow, plus I would never advise my wife to follow some junkie - not worth the risk.

We got the license plate. Registration turned out to be expired and they don't live at the address anymore. Our Tesla was not drivable after the accident so no way to follow, plus I would never advise my wife to follow some junkie - not worth the risk.
I would not advise the SO to follow either and your vehicle was obviously disabled after that bad crash. Glad your wife was OK tho.

Good to know that having just the plate # doesn't guarantee an arrest.

Any witnesses? Without a witness and/or camera there is no way to prove who hit whom in such accidents. I am just going through the same thing where my wife got hit "PIT maneuver style", spun the car out at 60mph into a guard rail, while the other driver drove off with minor damage. Luckily I install dashcams in all my cars from the get-go - I treat them like airbags, always get them and hope to never use them (used them both cams and airbags this time :(). The deductible savings alone just paid for for both the dashcams, but the fact that the accident record will not go to the underwriters as a reason to raise my insurance rate will continue to pay for itself for years.

Great point. There were witness, but all in my car. Which, in California (and my city in particular) makes them unable to provide statements.

Great point. There were witness, but all in my car. Which, in California (and my city in particular) makes them unable to provide statements.
Unfortunately witnesses inside the car can be quiet unreliable, even if you exclude the potential bias towards to the driver. A good example was our accident - my wife, who drove the Tesla that was hit, was sure the car spun around 2 or 3 times before coming to a stop. The camera reveals the car only spun around once. Being inside a car what is involved in an accident can skew the recollections quiet a bit. You need a witness who saw it from the outside.

The accepted gold standard in the forum is the BlackVue 650/650S.

More accurately, the 650 would be the "silver" standard, with the gold standard being the newer Blackvue 750 series (and even the 750 is soon to be the silver standard, when the new 9XX series, with 4K resolution, appears some time this year). My own experience with a 4-channel 750 setup (with the larger cams facing forward and back, and what would normally be the rear view cams serving as side window cams) has been interesting. I have retrieved video from the cams for several traffic incidents I have witnessed at close hand, and found that there were occasions on which I could not identify the license plates using the forward/rear cams, but could identify them using the side cams (as when a SUV passed me on the right, and then shortly thereafter side-swiped another SUV directly in front of me). On another occasion, two motorcyclists were driving in a very hazardous manner, and I could not identify their license plates with any of the four cams. I'm not convinced that even a 4K camera setup could have done that adequately.

• Helpful
Reactions: SeminoleFSU
Tesla won't release the information to you directly, but call them and give them the time & date of the data that they can expect a court order for and they will make sure the data does not get erased or overridden, they you can have it subpoenaed later on if the person that hits you wants to lie in court and be proven wrong.

More accurately, the 650 would be the "silver" standard, with the gold standard being the newer Blackvue 750 series (and even the 750 is soon to be the silver standard, when the new 9XX series, with 4K resolution, appears some time this year). My own experience with a 4-channel 750 setup (with the larger cams facing forward and back, and what would normally be the rear view cams serving as side window cams) has been interesting. I have retrieved video from the cams for several traffic incidents I have witnessed at close hand, and found that there were occasions on which I could not identify the license plates using the forward/rear cams, but could identify them using the side cams (as when a SUV passed me on the right, and then shortly thereafter side-swiped another SUV directly in front of me). On another occasion, two motorcyclists were driving in a very hazardous manner, and I could not identify their license plates with any of the four cams. I'm not convinced that even a 4K camera setup could have done that adequately.
Great info. Yea, there's a lot of factors when trying to capture LPs... when objects are moving at high speed you can get blur on the recording if the frames per second is low, so even a higher res recording may not get you what you need if it's blurry because the FPS is low... also, lower light can cause a lot of problems as the iris opens to get the image... blurring of the subject and/or reflections on the glass can cause the camera to focus on the glass and not the subject out side the glass. That is assuming these cams have lower FPS and/or autofocus