Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does Tesla provide ICBC insurance in house?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello folks, first time Tesla owner here and just got my delivery date to pick up a model 3 on Aug 10 from Langley. Does Tesla provide the paperwork for ICBC insurance day of pick up? Or do we need to do that independently on our own?

I couldn't get a hold of an agent on the phone, the responses were all automated. I would really appreciate it to learn what goes on in pick up day esp with regards to insurance. Thanks!

Screenshot 2023-07-29 at 11.59.57 AM.png

I'm not sure how it works for new cars but I assume its similar to buying from a dealership - they will have onsite 'roadrunner' autoplan brokers that will get you insurance.

Word of advice though, ICBC charges a premium for optional coverages for Tesla vehicles. Try BCAA and 3rd party insurance brokers for a cheaper option on optional/extended coverage (get just the basic from ICBC). In my case BCAA was ~$800/yr cheaper for the same coverage and Family insurance was ~$1100 cheaper for the year (it wasn't just a couple hundred, it was almost a 50% difference).

You get ICBC when you pickup at the location and optional insurance option from ICBC (3rd party company) as well. But if you want to go with BCAA (which you should), then you can prepare that in advance when you get your VIN number and finalize the insurance on the day of pick up by calling them.

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but did it go ok? I'm flying down in a couple of weeks to pick up from Richmond. I see in the app that it says to have my insurance policy ready? Huh? Cart before the horse, Tesla.

Every dealership purchase I've ever made, including twice at Tesla, has been like this: You buy the car, sign the paperwork, hand over the cash... then an insurance person on site takes care of insurance before you drive away.

The little video in the app seems to suggest a virtual advisor needs to see me with my insurance papers before they'll hand over the "keys".

Huh?

Can someone explain step by step what I need to do? Do I have to have something from ICBC/BCAA *before* my delivery appointment in Richmond?

I suspect that they're referring to your trade-in with regards to your insurance. Regardless, they'll have an agent there to handle the paperwork. I think some of the communication is too generic for north america.

I suspect that they're referring to your trade-in with regards to your insurance. Regardless, they'll have an agent there to handle the paperwork. I think some of the communication is too generic for north america.
Yes, much of it is too US-centric. For example, the support number to try to get this answered ends in "I'm sorry, 00000 is not a valid zip code. Goodbye" lol

Sometimes I shake my head and just say, "elon, elon, elon... figure your @#$% out buddy".