Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does Tesla Register The Car For You?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently heard the same from a Tesla rep regarding the process in CA. He indicated that Tesla will only provide sequential plates after which the customer can order personalized plates from the DMV. I suppose my other option would be to reserve a personalized plate in advance by paying a fee to the DMV and then eventually transferring it to the Tesla. Anyone have experience with the process for reserving a personalized plate in CA before taking delivery of their Tesla?

In CA, I ordered a personalized plate months in advance of the car delivery date. I checked in with the local DMV office to ask them to hold on to the plates for me which they were happy to do.

I took delivery in mid May and my "pink" slip arrived about two weeks later. It has been about a week and the actual plates have not arrived yet. Is this normal or do I need to follow up on this? The plan was to bring the plates into the DMV office and swap them out for the personalized plates.