Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does the HEPA filter take away the musty smell?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just placed an order for a MYP this weekend. We currently have a very early 2021 MY LR (VIN 102XXX) that did not have the HEPA filter. Both summers we have had it, we get the horrible vinegar, sour smell (coined “Elon’s Musk”) on humid days for the first 2 or 3 minutes in the car. It then vanishes but it’s still very unpleasant. We had the filter changed and coils cleaned by Tesla, but it comes back each humid summer season here in the Midwest.

My question is….does the HEPA filter fix this issue? Anyone have an earlier model 3 or Y without the HEPA and then got a newer model with the HEPA and notice any different?

Do you have cabin overheat protection on with AC? You might want to turn off AC in cabin overheat protection, that should help. The car tries to dry the evaporator after you use AC normally but I don't think it does after COP...
I didn't know you could turn off the AC with the COP. I just checked my app, and both our MY LR (mentioned above) and our M3P both were set to have AC on when the Cabin Overheat Protection is on. I just turned those off - Will see if that helps. Thanks!