Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does the Model 3 spin out on corners?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes it is, No ABS with Regen. I tried it last week and it slides uncontrolled and the stability control seems confused so I switched Regen to low and will leave it that way until spring. Probably the best thing to do in that scenario would be to hit the breaks so you have ABS. I talked to the guy with the X and he got it mid summer so hadn’t driven it on snow yet. said Regen got him, he crested the top of the hill let off the accelerator and Regen put him in a slide. Also said he wasn’t planning on winter tires but was getting them now. He asked me and I showed him my 3 with Hakka 9’s
Does ABS disable the regenerative braking?
Tesla really needs to add an antilock algorithm to the regenerative braking. It seems super unsafe to rely on the user to disable regenerative braking manually whenever slippery conditions exist.

Reactions: jgs
When I was messing with it, yes if i was under full Regen and slammed the breaks ABS would take over. It’s hard to explain but Regen normal for my car is much stronger than any ICE downshifting I’ve ever experienced, well other then a 1st gear slow speed crawl down. For me going down a 10-25% grade going 30-45 mph with Regen low it feels like riding it down in 2nd or 3rd gear via engine break controlled speed in my LX570.

Okay. So last night I was driving along a two-lane road in moderately heavy rain and I got up to speed 50mph. The road started curving to the right, but I guess ended up taking the turn too fast with all the rainwater because the tires lost traction and left rear of the car slammed into the guardrail. I was so mad because the car wasn't even a month old, and I didn't stop to assess the actual damage because it was embarrassing. So I tried to keep driving but the motors couldn't generate any energy so I couldn't get anywhere.

And then I woke up and it was raining outside :D

Okay. So last night I was driving along a two-lane road in moderately heavy rain and I got up to speed 50mph. The road started curving to the right, but I guess ended up taking the turn too fast with all the rainwater because the tires lost traction and left rear of the car slammed into the guardrail. I was so mad because the car wasn't even a month old, and I didn't stop to assess the actual damage because it was embarrassing. So I tried to keep driving but the motors couldn't generate any energy so I couldn't get anywhere.

Just had the car start to skid on me too in a turn going the speed limit. Same sort of situation, was in the rain. But I'm almost sure it was triggered by the regenerative braking system because the skid started when my wife whined about me going the speed limit in the rain-which caused me to lift off the accelerator enough to trigger the regenerative braking system and the car went right into a slide.
I went back on the accelerator and recovered it but this behavior seriously caught me off guard-was way more dramatic than lifting in most cars because it's actually locking up the rear with the regeneration.

Honestly, I'm going to be setting the regen to low in any kind of inclement weather from now on. I probably wouldn't have skid if my wife hadn't asked me to slow down mid-turn but it's just too easy to accidentally cause too much regenerative braking in bad weather and send the rear sliding.

I think in the future maybe they need to have the AP cameras look for signs of crappy weather and just switch the regen to low in lousy conditions, the behavior in bad weather is really not great. And while I expect scary lift oversteer in a mid engined sports car it can really catch regular drivers off guard. I can only assume it's even worse in the non-AWD variants.

Odd I can’t get my AWD to oversteer even if I really really try on ice. Do you think you hydroplaned? Also I think you all are wanting the car to think way too much for you. It says in the manual to turn Regen to low in snow or ice. Possibly they should reword that to slippery conditions.

Reactions: Nocturnal
Odd I can’t get my AWD to oversteer even if I really really try on ice. Do you think you hydroplaned? Also I think you all are wanting the car to think way too much for you. It says in the manual to turn Regen to low in snow or ice. Possibly they should reword that to slippery conditions.
That's what I would suspect as well. I really can't get it to slide even in heavy rain.