Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does the Model S go into a deep sleep when not used for a while?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

wayner

Oct 29, 2014
Toronto
I last drove my car on March 11 and was away until last night - March 22. My car was plugged into the HPWC in my garage. I got iPhone notifications on (at least) Mar 15, 17 and 19th that the car had completed charging but strangely the Mar 17 and 19 notifications came much later than they should have since charging is scheduled to start at 4:30 am and should take only a few minutes if it hasn't been used. These notifications were 4 and 6 hours after charging was supposed to have started.

Last night after I got home I noticed that the car wasn't on my wifi network. So I went into the car and I noticed that the main dashboard (not the 17" screen - the main dashboard) seemed to reboot as it was dark and a Tesla logo came up - I have never seen this before. But everything looked fine and it was now connected via wifi.

But at 7:00am I couldn't connect to the car from my iPhone to turn the climate on to pre-heat as it was cold today in Toronto - I never have this problem when the car is at home as it generally stays connected to my wifi. I left at 7:30 and the car was okay and didn't appear to be in a state of deep sleep.

I am now able to connect to my car with the app.

Can anyone explain this behaviour?

Note that I have Power Saving turned off and Always Connected checked.

When you couldn't connect with the App, did it just spin or did it spin, go to waking car (or the connecting message as you don't have sleep on), and then to the couldn't connect popup. If it just spun, you were having a problem connecting to the Tesla servers, the car wasn't involved.

The late notification could have been for any number of reasons. It's not that uncommon to receive texts much later than they were sent. The car could have finished on time, but not been able to connect to Tesla for awhile. Tesla's servers could have been down for maintenance or problems, and ATT's servers might have been a problem as well.