Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does the underside of your front hood look like this?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does the underside of your front hood look like this? Something doesn't look right with that hole, and it is like the paint has been smeared away or something on the right side of it. It is like this on the other side as well. Is this normal?
Thanks!
Front Trunk Under Hood.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: P85_DA
Is there an online db to query by vin for bulletin's? Or a list to review? Edit: 2018 TESLA MODEL 3 4 DR AWD

This might not be listed because it isn't a recall. All I know is last time I made a service appointment they had this on their list of things to fix but ended up not doing it that day because I didn't want to leave my car. I needed the car and their new policy of only giving loaners if they have it for more than 3 days wasn't going to work for me. But the guy at the service center told me to call mobile service and let them know i have a bulletin on my vehicle for the frunk latch and they would come out to fix it. I have yet to set up that appointment.

Does the underside of your front hood look like this? Something doesn't look right with that hole, and it is like the paint has been smeared away or something on the right side of it. It is like this on the other side as well. Is this normal?
Thanks!
View attachment 407590

I assume you removed the adjustable rubber bumpers to take the picture? If not your missing the adjustable rubber bumpers. the paint is worn under my rubber bumpers a bit as well. The hood is aluminum so rust there is not an issue.

IMG_2401.jpg

IMG_2402.jpg

The hood is aluminum so rust there is not an issue.
Aluminum rusts as well, depending on the mineral content of the water hitting it. White rust/Corrosion can eat right through aluminum. Model S had this at the hood latch, some worse then others. Not a good place to have it. The hood and your vision depend on the hood staying latched and secure.

Aluminum rusts as well, depending on the mineral content of the water hitting it. White rust/Corrosion can eat right through aluminum. Model S had this at the hood latch, some worse then others. Not a good place to have it. The hood and your vision depend on the hood staying latched and secure.

I can see galvanic corrosion happening with the steel latch on an aluminum hood without protective isolation.

Thanks!
View attachment 407590
The hole shape is normal. The adjustable rubber stop is missing. Did you take it out for the picture? Is the paint smeared away or is that dried mineral forming a thin crust? Did you rub it to see if it would come off?

galvanic corrosion happening

Your right, the latch is not isolated, what I think is causing it truly here on the 3 and the S though is sharp edges of the actual stamped material are hard to finish coat with paint to the point its coated well. SO the mineral in the water starts working its way through the paint from that point, rubber isolation point and or perforations in the stampings of every part of the car.

The hood just happens to be a place lots of water is introduced by force and you can view what is happening today. Rain in any given place has different mineral content from one rain to another. Your hose at home is a bit more steady perhaps.

This is one warranty Tesla never talks about. "Perforation" of the Alum. sheet anywhere. I will say I have never seen a complete perforation yet, nor peeling outside paint on the oldest models S and 1st gen. Roadster. Plenty of peeling underside of hood on S though.