Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does wall charger ground need to be insulated?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There's nothing in common sense or regs that I can see, but I'm puzzled by why the Tesla installation depicts it that way.
Only needed a short section for my 14-50 installation, so price didn't really matter to me, but at Lowes the THHN costs less than Home Depot, so the price difference (at least here in California) is only 60 cents for bare solid vs 68 cents a foot for green THHN:
Southwire (By-the-Foot) 10-Gauge Solid SD Bare Copper Grounding Wire 10626090 - The Home Depot
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Southwire-10-AWG-Stranded-Green-Copper-THHN-Wire-By-the-Foot/3135091

The stranded wire is much easier to work with, so I would pick it any day for that 13% more cost (even if you are buying 100ft, that's only $8 difference).

If instead you were buying it in a bundle with the ground wire included that's obviously a different case (those the ground usually come bare). Note if you are using a 60 amp breaker you can't use 6 gauge Romex (which is only rated for 55A breaker), you should use THHN if you are doing 6 gauge.

Last edited:
Only needed a short section for my 14-50 installation, so price didn't really matter to me, but at Lowes the THHN costs less than Home Depot, so the price difference (at least here in California) is only 60 cents for bare solid vs 68 cents a foot for green THHN:
Southwire (By-the-Foot) 10-Gauge Solid SD Bare Copper Grounding Wire 10626090 - The Home Depot
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Southwire-10-AWG-Stranded-Green-Copper-THHN-Wire-By-the-Foot/3135091

The stranded wire is much easier to work with, so I would pick it any day for that 13% more cost (even if you are buying 100ft, that's only $8 difference).

If instead you were buying it in a bundle with the ground wire included that's obviously a different case (those the ground usually come bare). Note if you are using a 60 amp breaker you can't use 6 gauge Romex (which is only rated for 55A breaker), you should use THHN if you are doing 6 gauge.
THHN and I was mainly debating ease of pulling (about 60 ft and a few bends) overlooking the stranded option for #10. Thanks for the advice.