Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does your HPWC make a loud thunk when charging starts?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jboy210

Supporting Member
Dec 2, 2016
Northern California
HI,

I just have an HPWC installed. It works fine, but I noticed it makes a loud thunk when it starts charging. Does everyone else's do this? I assume it is a relay.

I was just surprised that it is quite a bit louder then the mobile charger when it engages at 120V/12A.

I have 2 HPWCs and the older one makes an audible loud click when it starts charging. My new one is silent. I recall when I wired the older one there was a pretty healthy relay in it so I assume that is making the thunk you hear.

I will add that the thunk for the old Roadster EVSE as well as the thunk from my Clipper Creek units are normal. The relays in these units make a strong physical clunk. By comparison the Tesla HPWC is extremely quiet.

HI,

I just have an HPWC installed. It works fine, but I noticed it makes a loud thunk when it starts charging. Does everyone else's do this? I assume it is a relay.

I was just surprised that it is quite a bit louder then the mobile charger when it engages at 120V/12A.
The relay needs to be able to handle 80a. The HPWC relays are only open/closed.

The car controls how much current it pulls, up to the limit advertised by the HPWC (via the dial switch setting)

There's an 80A mechanical contactor in there. At least that's what's in the piece that arrived at my door a few days ago. Such a contactor is going to produce a pretty good thunk when it opens or closes.

The mobile charger, conversely doesn't have to handle more than 48 A and can be subject to some pretty rough handling. I'll bet it's got a silent SSR (Solid State Relay).