Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does your service advisor talk to you about active TSB, without you asking?

Does your Your Service Advisor:

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Whenever a TSB is published for Tesla it list all cars generated in a model year with some exceptions. When you have the problem, the Service Advisor claims this TSB is not for your car how do you handle this?.

Do you think Tesla actively avoids warranty issues by not looking into these TSB whenever a car is in for service?, what is your experience?

NO manufacturer will proactively perform work associated with TSBs if you have not reported an issue or the car is not exhibiting obvious symptoms of a problem.

That’s not how TSBs work, nor what they are for. They are basically intended to be a knowledgebase of common problems and solutions to avoid wasted effort on repeated diagnosis - not a laundry list of things that should be inspected and fixed proactively on every car.

• Disagree
Reactions: hydro and MP3Mike
My intent was mainly around a concern raised that had a TSB. Rather than looking at TSB that might be applicable for the concern, the Service Advisor recommends something else. For eg. Shudder during acceleration and the recommendation to fix the concern is a alignment check.

NO manufacturer will proactively perform work associated with TSBs if you have not reported an issue or the car is not exhibiting obvious symptoms of a problem.
That is not my experience at all, between two different manufacturers (BMW and Chrysler) when I've taken the cars in for scheduled services they have advised me of software updates for various systems, preventative fixes etc that they will also be performing.
Of course with no scheduled servicing for our Tesla's there is not much opportunity for owners to have TSB's performed.

As @Tesomegae ruins, TSBs are not meant for public consumption though they do make it into the public’s hands. They are meant to help technicians diagnose a problem that a customer comes to them with as a possible solution. They are not compelled to perform the service recommended by the TSB at all like they are with recalls.
In your situation, it’s always good to bring these to the light of the SC, as it may be the solution. However, it’s at their discretion. They are there to fix the problem you bring the car to them. If you get into a situation where they are saying no problem exists and are threatening to charge you for “diagnosis time” without performing the TSB, then make sure to read the TSB closely and check if your VIN/build date falls within the affected range. I don’t think anyone reasonable would refuse to perform the TSB if it clearly affects your vehicle and you clearly brought it in for a problem addressed by the TSB.

Reactions: MP3Mike
As @Tesomegae ruins, TSBs are not meant for public consumption though they do make it into the public’s hands. They are meant to help technicians diagnose a problem that a customer comes to them with as a possible solution. They are not compelled to perform the service recommended by the TSB at all like they are with recalls.
In your situation, it’s always good to bring these to the light of the SC, as it may be the solution. However, it’s at their discretion. They are there to fix the problem you bring the car to them. If you get into a situation where they are saying no problem exists and are threatening to charge you for “diagnosis time” without performing the TSB, then make sure to read the TSB closely and check if your VIN/build date falls within the affected range. I don’t think anyone reasonable would refuse to perform the TSB if it clearly affects your vehicle and you clearly brought it in for a problem addressed by the TSB.

Not sure i agree with your statement that its not for public consumption. It is clearly listed as the manufacturer communications related to issues reported. for e.g: 2017 TESLA MODEL S P90D 5 HB AWD

I do agree that its under manufacturers discretion on how to address the problem. But, it should not be upto the consumer to do additional research to bring these to light for the Technician to address.

Also note, as document does not list list VINs that are impacted; we rely heavily on TESLA to do the right thing to address customer concerns.

But there is a big difference when comparing to other car manufacturers. For most others, the shop you are bringing your car to is not owned by the car manufacturer, just affiliated. The dealer/shop gets reimbursed by the manufacturer for any warranty work. In some circumstances, if the shop feels they can do the job right and easy, they are incentivized to do it as they will be compensated well by the manufacturer for the job.

With Tesla, the shop is the manufacturer. The incentive is gone (other than customer service).

I have experienced all three poll choices at my local service centers. They have actively applied TSBs I wasn’t even aware of, they have only done what I asked, and they have not even managed to get all of my list done sometimes. It is a mixed bag.

Not sure i agree with your statement that its not for public consumption. It is clearly listed as the manufacturer communications related to issues reported. for e.g: 2017 TESLA MODEL S P90D 5 HB AWD

I do agree that its under manufacturers discretion on how to address the problem. But, it should not be upto the consumer to do additional research to bring these to light for the Technician to address.

Also note, as document does not list list VINs that are impacted; we rely heavily on TESLA to do the right thing to address customer concerns.

In a perfect world all of this would be provided proactively by the manufacturer/dealer, but I have always done my own research and been self-reliant and proactive myself because that is all I can control in a less than perfect world. This approach generally makes me happier and more satisfied with outcomes.