Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does your sunroof vent on its own out of nowhere?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lately my Sunroof seems to have a mind of its own and it vents out of nowhere. I can be just driving and out of nowhere bam it opens. Has happened around 8 times in the past 2 weeks and there is no rhyme or reason when it will decide to open on its own.

Lately my Sunroof seems to have a mind of its own and it vents out of nowhere. I can be just driving and out of nowhere bam it opens. Has happened around 8 times in the past 2 weeks and there is no rhyme or reason when it will decide to open on its own.

Could you be hitting the scroll wheel by accident? My sunroof was controlled by my right scroll wheel until I changed it and it was always being accidentally opened. Otherwise, mine has never mysteriously opened on its own.

Reactions: Aieukl378
Could you be hitting the scroll wheel by accident? My sunroof was controlled by my right scroll wheel until I changed it and it was always being accidentally opened. Otherwise, mine has never mysteriously opened on its own.

No, I can be driving and not touching anything and it will just open. Last night my son closed the passenger door when he got in and it opened as he closed the passenger door. My concern is that it will open on its own at some point when its sitting there and it might be raining. Its a pain in the ass having the closest dealer over 1 1/2 hours away to bring it back in.

I've never had this, but I also think the most likely culprit is the right scroll wheel on your steering wheel. Make sure it's not set to control the Sunroof. Have it control something else (recent calls for example) and then see if Sunroof continues to have a mind of its own.

The only other 'inadvertent' thing I can think of (and I don't even have an S....) is the app "Remote S", which has the roof controls (as well as an Apple Watch version, I love it for unlocking the car, easier than getting the fob out, but I digress... ) If you use that app, it can do that.

If there is no software involved, and no 'scroll wheel' involved, I'd see if you can tie down the time involved (you said it happened in front of you and your son), and call Tesla. They can check the logs and I'd think tell you what triggered it. I hope that would include what actual control mechanism did it to solve this mystery.

I'd like to hear this answer, myself!

I have had that happen a few times. Out of nowhere did the roof open and the HVAC turned to LO setting. There was no one using the remote app (I made sure). Tesla was never able to find the problem. It haven't happened to me in 2 years, though.

I have had that happen a few times. Out of nowhere did the roof open and the HVAC turned to LO setting. There was no one using the remote app (I made sure). Tesla was never able to find the problem. It haven't happened to me in 2 years, though.

HVAC is on by default so I dont know if the two are related in any way. I contacted support and they asked me to note the time it happens next so they can check the logs.

Sunroof automatically vented while I was driving through the parking garage this morning. First time it's ever happened. I have also been having an intermittent problem where the odometer flashes 0 for a second, and the radio stations go blank for about 30 seconds. The display issues are usually cleared when I reboot the main screen. I feel like something is about to go down.

This is happening to me suddenly although the circumstances are different.

My sunroof vents when I open a door, but only if the car detects the keyfob and auto unlocks:

I know that we (sunroof owners) are becoming a vanishingly small group. I have yet to receive any replies to my post in 24 hours.

This is happening to me suddenly although the circumstances are different.

My sunroof vents when I open a door, but only if the car detects the keyfob and auto unlocks:

I know that we (sunroof owners) are becoming a vanishingly small group. I have yet to receive any replies to my post in 24 hours.
Update to my post. It appears my issue is linked to a faulty right scroll wheel button that was recently replace by mobile. It was triggering a sunroof vent because the car was issuing a "button press" when I opened the door. Since I had the right scroll button set to the sunroof, it was triggering a vent. When I changed the right scroll wheel to something different, that function triggered.

This last post perfectly describes my issue lol. Thank you for the detailed answer!
More detail here from a thread I opened a year ago if you're interested.