Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does your trunk make a loud thump sound before opening?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No, it isn't normal. The mobile service tech and I spent an hour in my garage with him loosening the driver side bolts and me pushing on the trunk lid. The issue is that the motorized leg is only on the drivers side of the trunk, and there is a passive gas strut on the passenger side. If you stand behind your car and use your phone to open the trunk, you will see it shift to the passenger side as it opens. What is happening, is the plastic on the trunk lid is hitting the plastic on the passenger side tail light. If you try to adjust the stops, they will screw out until the latch no longer grabs the hatch. I have another service appointment tomorrow, we will see what he can do about it then. BTW, when I removed the rear bumper to put the hitch on, the 2 bolts holding the passenger side tail light on where finger tight, and would have rattled loose if I had not removed the light and noticed.

No, it isn't normal. The mobile service tech and I spent an hour in my garage with him loosening the driver side bolts and me pushing on the trunk lid. The issue is that the motorized leg is only on the drivers side of the trunk, and there is a passive gas strut on the passenger side. If you stand behind your car and use your phone to open the trunk, you will see it shift to the passenger side as it opens. What is happening, is the plastic on the trunk lid is hitting the plastic on the passenger side tail light. If you try to adjust the stops, they will screw out until the latch no longer grabs the hatch. I have another service appointment tomorrow, we will see what he can do about it then. BTW, when I removed the rear bumper to put the hitch on, the 2 bolts holding the passenger side tail light on where finger tight, and would have rattled loose if I had not removed the light and noticed.

Thanks for this info, I will mention it when I go in for service this thursday.

Reactions: Taber
Update: the mobile tech was here yesterday and we looked at it again. He is ordering a new gas strut to see if it is stronger and better resists the lifting force of the motor strut. We will see if this works.

Someone on reddit mentioned they found that there was a plastic/weatherseal contact issue on the right side close to tail light. The seal would hold, then “snap/thump” and let the trunk open.

I don’t experience the issue so can’t speak to it, just thought I’d throw it in.