Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dog Mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What jjrandorin said ^ . As soon as you close the door and lock it, she screen should display the bright white dog mode message. Try it and report back

Problem I’m having is that the dog isn’t animated now after getting 2019.8.5. Just have a static image of the dog now whereas it used to be animated. Doesn’t seem like a big deal but the animation would help draw more attention to the screen for concerned passers by... anyone else having this issue?

What jjrandorin said ^ . As soon as you close the door and lock it, she screen should display the bright white dog mode message. Try it and report back

Problem I’m having is that the dog isn’t animated now after getting 2019.8.5. Just have a static image of the dog now whereas it used to be animated. Doesn’t seem like a big deal but the animation would help draw more attention to the screen for concerned passers by... anyone else having this issue?

I was (am) very skeptical of this feature. We know Tesla has bugs. In this case a bug could kill my dogs.

But I had to try it. First time, my wife was in the passenger seat with the dogs, she was the 3rd dog ;). It worked flawless.
This was at a Home Depot and the car was in direct sun and I was only 30 feet away looking at Electric Riding Lawn Mowers on Display in front of the store. And she was in a Handicapped spot near the front of the store.

Then I grabbed my wife to have her sit on one of the lawnmowers. A knowledgeable on looker was peeking in the car to show someone else the "Dog Mode" screen. Again I was only 30 feet away.

Later that day I parked under a nice full shade tree and would normally open every window 4 inches and they would be fine. It was 72F out and a breeze. I always factor in "What if we got hit by a bus" how, long would the dogs be ok and factor in where the sun could go later. I'd also check them regularly to verify it was not getting to warm. We go to great trouble to make sure they are safe. And have abandoned big plans because there was no safe way to leave them.

In this 2nd "Dog Mode" test we were eating lunch outside at a restaurant and the car was in view 100 ft away. I set a timer for every 10 minutes to check Cabin Temp. And the car was under this nice wide low tree. "Dog Mode" did run perfect. I almost prefer that there is no way to turn it off from the Phone App. That you MUST be at the car to turn it off. I said to my wife if I accidentally hit that off button, by by puppies. The look on her face.

Not sure if I should trust it in the long run though. To many bugs to risk the dogs life. To easy to make a mistake. It's easy to get overconfident in things and then it disappoints you. Don't get me wrong, "Dog Mode" worked great, just don't know if I should put my dogs life into "technologies" hands. I'm also concerned people don't validate technology as neurotically as I do, like start "Dog Mode" with 15% battery.

Problem is, for it to work, windows must be shut. Even in the shade on a warm day, that's dangerous if it fails. Even with windows open in the shade it's not as comfortable as "Dog Mode", but it doesn't depend on any technology either.

Oh, and it seemed very good on battery too. Being in the shade I'm sure helped.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Yeah, I'd never use it when the weather is hot enough, and I was gone for long enough, that if it failed the dogs would die.
But it's great for when you're running an errand for ten minutes on a hot day, and want people on the outside to know that your dogs aren't in danger.

I know my works because our whole family got a Snapchat of the screen when I left her in the car parked at Petsmart when I ran in to get dog food (oh the irony). As a 2 week old owner that’s all I could think to do to keep the car comfortable

I LOVE dog mode. I use it frequently, even when the dogs are not in the car. I do like the fact that getting in and out of the car doesn't shut down the climate.
In the winter, it's nice to return to a warm car.
In the summer, it's nice to return to a cool car.

How much range/battery does Dog mode use?
I took a before and after picture, when using dog mode yesterday.
I was going to be sitting at a dog agility trial and I knew it was going to get warm.
I did put a windshield screen in front.
I also played Cat's Quest and Beach Buggy Racing while I was waiting, as well as listening to the radio.
Not sure what the drain is for each, but not suspecting much.

After 5 hours, I'd lost about 10% of the battery.
The Starting temp was 74 at 9:30AM. Sorry for the fuzzy picture.
View attachment 665228

I then took the after picture at about 2:30 PM. Not sure what I did differently, but at least the picture is clearer. The high temp the car registered was 92.
Dog mode set to 74.
View attachment 665229

As this was just one recorded test, it is not a double blind study with complete scientific results, but it's a reasonable approximation.
Plus I haven't done a record test in the winter to see how well the heat pump does.
Hope this helps folks.