Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dogs in a Model S??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey! My new avatar's up!

And in other news, as of tonight Borealis sports yet another new cast and he's once again a conehead.

Poor Bo. We keep telling him what a good boy he is. It is most evident, however, that he's thinking "It's pretty obvious that word doesn't mean what you think it does".

First, he is doing well, and back to good humor. The significant damage now is to our furniture, as we finally had to put on his Elizabethan Collar to keep him from worrying the cast, and his crashing around the house with it is quite traumatic to things leather, wood and plastic.
But no: he did not fracture anything: he had a carpal hyperextension - that is, he stretched the ligaments that span his "wrist" to the point that they never again will be able to perform their appropriate functions.
To treat, all "joints" within the carpal ("wrist") area are indeed packed with bone marrow, which was donated from the upper humerus. In addition, a st.steel splint now spans the carpals, screwed in to the metacarpals at one side and the lower radius/ulna on the other. Eventually, the marrow will induce the formation of bone mass, thus fusing the entire carpal area into what is effectively a solid bone mass. That, plus the steel splint, will give him immense strength - but loss of flexibility - at that "wrist". He'll likely have a bit of difficulty when crashing through tundra, as it is more difficult to lift or even flex the left paw; other than that if (WHEN!) he fully heals, his job as Official Cabin Greeter, and full-time mattress tester, will be unimpaired.

And the link to you, Huntjo, is that both his surgeon here as well as our 'normal' vet surgeon back in Alaska both trained at Fort Collins's CSU Vet School. Thanks!

Here is my 170lb Great Dane Montana in the back seat, he is 8 so has a hard time getting in and out.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    534.3 KB · Views: 836
First, he is doing well, and back to good humor. The significant damage now is to our furniture, as we finally had to put on his Elizabethan Collar to keep him from worrying the cast, and his crashing around the house with it is quite traumatic to things leather, wood and plastic.
But no: he did not fracture anything: he had a carpal hyperextension - that is, he stretched the ligaments that span his "wrist" to the point that they never again will be able to perform their appropriate functions.
To treat, all "joints" within the carpal ("wrist") area are indeed packed with bone marrow, which was donated from the upper humerus. In addition, a st.steel splint now spans the carpals, screwed in to the metacarpals at one side and the lower radius/ulna on the other. Eventually, the marrow will induce the formation of bone mass, thus fusing the entire carpal area into what is effectively a solid bone mass. That, plus the steel splint, will give him immense strength - but loss of flexibility - at that "wrist". He'll likely have a bit of difficulty when crashing through tundra, as it is more difficult to lift or even flex the left paw; other than that if (WHEN!) he fully heals, his job as Official Cabin Greeter, and full-time mattress tester, will be unimpaired.

And the link to you, Huntjo, is that both his surgeon here as well as our 'normal' vet surgeon back in Alaska both trained at Fort Collins's CSU Vet School. Thanks!

Glad to hear he's doing well! My wife works at CSU vet hospital. She may have worked with them a while! She was glad to hear it was a bone graft repair and not a complete bone marrow transplant which would be a lot rougher recovery.

Hahah, but the Model S is great car to get to and from sledding ;) If you lower the seats it can easily fit a sled and the whole dog team in it ;) And even with the seats upright the rear easily fits 4+ huskies :) Partly because huskies (and I guess malamutes) are naturally tight packing ;)

734676_10151354247991543_546671090_n.jpg

(not a Model S, just packing algorithm display) ;)

Cubic Close Packing. Just right for those ferschliggina square-headed sled dogs!!!!

- - - Updated - - -

And this is our friend and former business colleague, Sebastian Schnuelle, resting after he won the 1,000 mile Yukon Quest. AFTER Jenny and I came upon him....and the dogs....like this, I decided to sell him this cabin:crying:. True story!
DSCN4790.jpg