Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dolby surround gone on MCU1 AP2.5 2017 Oct build

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been running on 2018.39.6 8377b4d for a few weeks now and had been noticing odd things in the audio department since then. Maybe a week ago, I noticed that the sub started to hit a lot harder causing loose items to rattle here and there. I looked at the audio levels (something I haven't needed to look at in months) and saw that the Dolby surround option was disabled. I turned it back on and the bass thump back to normal, non-rattling, levels. Now finally today, I notice the same sort of oddity with the audio and decide to check out the audio options once more. Come to find out the Dolby surround toggle is now completely removed and in its place is 'Immersive Sound' with various levels - off, standard, and high. Dolby felt weak on the low end at lower volumes (< 4) so I'm actually digging the new settings.

I think it's kind of interesting how they were able to enable and change audio features without needing to tie it to the firmware release - feature flagging, if you will.

Anyway, was just wondering if anyone else is also now in the same boat?

I have UHF and am running 39.6. After V9 loaded, I noticed that "Dolby Surround" had been disabled. I re-enabled it. I just went out to the car right now, and noticed that it was disabled again. (I re-enabled it again...)

Mine still says "Dolby Surround" with a pill button to turn it on/off. I do not have the options you are referring to.

When I first upgraded to v9, I noticed I had the immersive sound controls which I liked better than Dolby (which I usually left off ). A day or two later, I was mysteriously back to Dolby :(. Very strange ...

It seems buggy. Mine flips between Dolby Surround (annoyingly defaulting to OFF most of the time) and Immersive Sound (where the slider options don't do anything). Rebooting sometimes brings back Dolby Surround. MCU1, AP2.0

I think it's likely a 9.0 bug.

I think it's kind of interesting how they were able to enable and change audio features without needing to tie it to the firmware release - feature flagging, if you will.
Anyway, was just wondering if anyone else is also now in the same boat?

Same symptoms here, flipping between Dolby and Immersive, without an update.
Related...my Slip Start control does the same thing, periodically flips back to the old Traction Control On/Off buttons. And an MCU reboot sets it to the new Slip Start button. When its displaying Traction Control, traction control cannot be turned off.

I noticed the flipping even without a software update...while the car did not receive a separate update after the initial V9.0.

On a more important note, did anyone notice an actual change in sound quality? I felt the sound felt a bit hollower and did not fill the cabin with bass and loudness as it used to be before.

I noticed the flipping even without a software update...while the car did not receive a separate update after the initial V9.0.

On a more important note, did anyone notice an actual change in sound quality? I felt the sound felt a bit hollower and did not fill the cabin with bass and loudness as it used to be before.
I personally like the sound better with the immersive sound on "standard" . I just think it sounds fuller than it was before and definitely fuller than Dolby. That being said, I just discovered my two rear speakers in the hatch aren't working... Heading to SCntr next week.

Well 42.2 is weird. Without Dolby some songs sounds even better. You can hardly tell a difference. And even with Dolby the sound is nowhere near how full it was on older versions with Dolby. (but this was ****ed up in the last versions of V8 as well)

Well 42.2 is weird. Without Dolby some songs sounds even better. You can hardly tell a difference. And even with Dolby the sound is nowhere near how full it was on older versions with Dolby. (but this was ****ed up in the last versions of V8 as well)
I noticed this too. the differences are drastic in some songs than others.

I personally like the sound better with the immersive sound on "standard" . I just think it sounds fuller than it was before and definitely fuller than Dolby. That being said, I just discovered my two rear speakers in the hatch aren't working... Heading to SCntr next week.
How did you find this out? I have always wondered if the sound in my MS is front biased. The sound from the rear speakers when I direct the "balance" setting to the back is very very low.

How did you find this out? I have always wondered if the sound in my MS is front biased. The sound from the rear speakers when I direct the "balance" setting to the back is very very low.

I crawled into the trunk area and put my ear up against the grille in the hatch. Played around with settings but never heard any sound out of the speakers. I have the UHF sound package.

One point of interest for those interested ;)

When you have "Dolby" disabled, your Fade / Balance controls operate exactly as you would imagine they should; in a linear fashion.

However, when you have "Dolby" enabled, it only takes your Fade / Balance as a suggestion, as it is trying to determine the best distribution of sound. The amount that it does this can be affected by the individual song also.

You can exam this by setting the Fade / Balance dot centered on the rear passenger seat. Then switch Dolby on/off while streaming surround encoded music.

I am on 42.2 in my MCU 1 non-AP P85 and I still notice flipping between Dolby and immersive sound. I wonder if Tesla is secretly doing A/B testing with us guinea pigs to see if they could dump Dolby in favor of their own processor to avail themselves of Dolby licensing fees.

Just a thought...