Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Door and Panels not aligned properly

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We took delivery of our Model Y in October. Unfortunately, I wasn't tuned in at the time to check for alignment issues at the time of delivery. Both the driver side and passenger side doors are significantly out of alignment at the bottom with the rocker panel. The alignment issue isn't small. On both sides it is about 1/4". When you pay as much for a car as we did for this vehicle, I don't expect to have to be doing Tesla's QA. It is unfortunate that they are passing these cars off to customers hoping that they aren't informed and / or won't notice. This isn't leaving me with a great first impressions of Tesla as a first rate car company.

I made an appointment with the service center they said they couldn't fix the alignment issue with the rocker panels. I was told to get a quote by a auto body shop, but two auto body shops said they couldn't readily fix the issue and could only make minor adjustments with the door that would modify the way the door fits with other panels. I have gone back to the service center asking about resolution and / or remediation. He informed me that he would need to include sales in the discussion, so I have engaged my sales person who quickly deferred me to her manager. I am definitely getting the slow roll on this. No timely re
20201030_190100013_iOS.jpg
20201030_190111489_iOS.jpg
20201030_190117443_iOS.jpg
20201030_190137650_iOS.jpg
20201030_190147507_iOS.jpg
20201030_190154512_iOS.jpg
20201030_190137650_iOS.jpg
20201030_190147507_iOS.jpg
20201030_190154512_iOS.jpg
sponses. My opinion Telsa as a company that stands behind their product continues to erode. I am going to keep pushing, though.

Mine has similar recess at the bottom of the doors where they meet the rocker panel (especially both front doors). When I got mine (build date of 9/8), almost all Ys that I saw both on the lot at the service center and in pics posted around the internet were coming from the factory that way. Then, I noticed a lot of the November deliveries were fixed. I wonder if it's one of the robots/machines that slowly gets out of alignment and needs to be recalibrated.

In my case, I didn't even bring it up when I had a couple of my cosmetic issues fixed post-delivery since I just didn't really care. I have to say, my service center did a great job. They even gave me a free Homelink...because I showed them a couple of paint blemishes (bumps) on the rear hatch where it meets the roof/top of car (you would not notice it unless if you were looking for issues) but told him I didn't care about it but just wanted it documented. Low and behold, when I went to pick it up, he told me as a gesture of goodwill for the paint, they installed Homeline for free. :)

Yeah, there's definitely an issue with the doors... not just their alignment, but the doors themselves. If a door is flush at the top and bottom... but the center bows in/outward... that's a PROBLEM. Don't know if they're being stamped incorrectly, misshapen during joining/assembly, damaged by employee handling, who knows.

We took delivery of our Model Y in October. Unfortunately, I wasn't tuned in at the time to check for alignment issues at the time of delivery. Both the driver side and passenger side doors are significantly out of alignment at the bottom with the rocker panel. The alignment issue isn't small. On both sides it is about 1/4". When you pay as much for a car as we did for this vehicle, I don't expect to have to be doing Tesla's QA. It is unfortunate that they are passing these cars off to customers hoping that they aren't informed and / or won't notice. This isn't leaving me with a great first impressions of Tesla as a first rate car company.

I made an appointment with the service center they said they couldn't fix the alignment issue with the rocker panels. I was told to get a quote by a auto body shop, but two auto body shops said they couldn't readily fix the issue and could only make minor adjustments with the door that would modify the way the door fits with other panels. I have gone back to the service center asking about resolution and / or remediation. He informed me that he would need to include sales in the discussion, so I have engaged my sales person who quickly deferred me to her manager. I am definitely getting the slow roll on this. No timely reView attachment 613168 View attachment 613169 View attachment 613170 View attachment 613171 View attachment 613172 View attachment 613173 View attachment 613171 View attachment 613172 View attachment 613173 sponses. My opinion Telsa as a company that stands behind their product continues to erode. I am going to keep pushing, though.

Slightly similar on my Y. Only the front doors.

I took this to Tesla service where I purchased the vehicle to see what they could address. Basically since the door is aligned in other areas, they can't easily (or at all) address this without causing other issues. While to me the alignment issue is significant, their measurement of 4.5mm is within their specs. I guess you figure out what your specs need to be to accept the cars coming off your production line.

I talked with their Customer Experience Manager. He tried to convince me this was acceptable and the cars other features make up for it. I am sorry, but I don't buy that when I pay a high price for the car that I can't get both performance and fit and finish. There was never an offer of how can we make this right for you. I would have take some form of compensation for a good faith gesture. The Customer Experience Manager only further sullied my experience as a customer and did nothing to build any brand loyalty.

Morale of the story: Consumer beware and with Tesla be informed in advance to inspect and be prepared to reject your vehicle at delivery time.