Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Door handles behavior

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

cbdream99

Apr 8, 2017
DFW
I seldom use the rear doors on my 2017 MS, but just the other day trying to use it and I think it is not working properly. I have passive entry enabled, auto present off, unlock driver door only on first unlock, no child lock. I have the front door unlocked and handle presented. When I press any other doors including front passenger, the handles won’t present, no matter how I press them. Is this normal ?

If I have unlock driver door option off, then when I press any of the front doors handles, all handles present, I think this is expected, right ? In any case, the rear door handle will not present when pressed. I was thinking it should present when pressed, Is something broken ?

I think that’s working as designed. Unlock driver only means the other doors remain locked.
This part is confusing from various threads. If I have auto present off, let say I want to put someone or something in the back seat. After I opened the driver door, the only way to open the rear door is to use the fob ? I cannot just touch the rear door handle and open the rear door. That seems to be very inconvenient.

Upvote 0
This part is confusing from various threads. If I have auto present off, let say I want to put someone or something in the back seat. After I opened the driver door, the only way to open the rear door is to use the fob ? I cannot just touch the rear door handle and open the rear door. That seems to be very inconvenient.
This seems to be either a software/settings issue or working as designed. If the rear doors handles have been presented and retracted by itself, then pressing it will open again, so it doesn’t look like a hardware issue..

Upvote 0
If you want the rear door to unlock automatically, you can't use the "unlock driver door only" setting. Once you're in the car, I assume you can unlock the other doors from the touchscreen.

Reactions: cbdream99
Upvote 0
If you want the rear door to unlock automatically, you can't use the "unlock driver door only" setting. Once you're in the car, I assume you can unlock the other doors from the touchscreen.
I can press the park button if I in driver seat and all doors will open. I am just wondering on the other day, when trying to sit my friend's kids why walking to the car and after unlocking the front door, thinking touching the handle manually in the rear door will present and I can open the door for them to get in, nah it doesn't work. I have up coming service appointment and will ask them about it, I thought a tech has shown me before it worked few years back, but software may have changed.

Upvote 0
I can press the park button if I in driver seat and all doors will open. I am just wondering on the other day, when trying to sit my friend's kids why walking to the car and after unlocking the front door, thinking touching the handle manually in the rear door will present and I can open the door for them to get in, nah it doesn't work. I have up coming service appointment and will ask them about it, I thought a tech has shown me before it worked few years back, but software may have changed.
I think the “unlock driver door only” feature is fairly new, so it wasn’t there a few years back.

Upvote 0