Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Door handles present, but can't be opened. Car is completely dead otherwise.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I approach my '13 P85 after it has been sitting overnight, the door handles will present as expected, but the car remains "locked". No lights of any kind come on (like they normally would). The key fobs don't work and the app is not able to connect. If the car is charging, I'm able to remove the charge cable, but I'm not able to open the charge port if it's closed.

If I give the two 12v terminals power for just a second, the car wakes up and is completely normal. I can drive it all day, park it and return to it with no issues. There are no 12v error messages of any kind. But when the car sits overnight and presumably goes into a deeper sleep, the issue will reappear.

What could be the issue? Poor connectivity around the 12v battery posts?

When the car wakes up, does it run off of the big battery for a while, or are all 12v components (like lights, locks, computers, etc.) only fed from the 12v battery?

I'm puzzled by this behavior. Any input is highly appreciated!

Thanks,

\ Henrik

i suspect your 12v battery is no longer at the point where it can reliably perform effectively/maintain a full charge overnight. If you open a ticket, I believe Tesla can diagnose remotely.

The 12 volt battery has to be able to provide enough current to pull in the contactors that connect the HVB to the car. Once pulled in the DC to DC converter provides the 12 volts to operate the car. I can think of two possibilities. Either the 12 volt battery needs to be replaced or the DC to DC converter has failed which means the 12 volt battery is no longer being charged. Your symptoms sound like the former is the problem.