Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Door leaks, stuck "open"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While taking my Y through a car wash today, some water must have gotten somewhere it shouldn't have because my rear passenger door suddenly displayed it was open towards the end of the wash, even though it was still closed.. Of course, a door being "open" means the window must be automatically rolled down to protect the trim, so I got a bit of an interior wash too.

After I escaped the wash, the door was still displaying as open and would not close after opening the door several times. It would latch shut but the car would still think it is open and keep the window rolled down. Tesla Service had me reboot the car over the phone, which did nothing. I had to drive home with the constant beeping of driving with an open door.

It's been a few hours and the door has done a few things. For a few minutes it was repeatedly closing and opening, then stayed shut for about an hour. I got a car alarm notification (but no audible alarm) twice before I went out and disabled my alarm. Right now, the door is stuck "open" and I can't lock my car. Hopefully the sensor or whatever dries out by morning. I already have a mobile service scheduled for July 8 but I'm 3 hours from a service center and I might just make the drive if it doesn't get better.

0067XX VIN.

Attachments

• IMG_20200702_211321_801.jpg
    IMG_20200702_211321_801.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 520
  • IMG_20200702_211239_599.jpg
    IMG_20200702_211239_599.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 303
  • Informative
Reactions: captanzuelo
Mobile service was unable to reproduce the issue. They said that the logs showed the emergency release being used, but I never saw any notification on the screen warning against using the emergency release like you normally do when someone uses it. They pretty much tore down and rebuilt the entire door and saw no evidence of damage or water intrusion. They recommended I bring it to a service center so they could test it there, and they would also have parts. I'll test it in a car wash soon and see if the issue is still there. Maybe rebuilding the door fixed the issue.

I’ve had the exact same issue happen twice since taking delivery. I reported it at service, but they I don’t think they dis-assembled it to the extent they did yours. It happened at the car wash the next day (luckily I brought someone who had a towel back there to block the water).

Basically, On the 2nd pass or so over the right side of the vehicle, the rear door decides its open and lowers the glass, but the door remains fully closed. The car reports that the door is open. The normal door release button doesn’t do anything. The window can’t be rolled back up. The first time, I drove all the way home with it beeping that the door was open, but when I got home it magically closed the window and detected that the door was closed. The 2nd time, I got out immediately after the car wash and was able to open and close the door using the exterior door handle, and when it closed it detected that it was closed. But 10 minutes later, it thought it was open again. By the time I got home, it was fine again.

edit: 18xxx vin

• Informative
Reactions: kmacm20 and Ohelig
Rule #1. Never take your car to a car wash. Touchless or not.
Rule #2. Get an electric pressure washer and wash it yourself. It's easy and fun.

This one is on sale: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...ag=tbpre-20&ascsubtag=01IPFQw23bxrW50IaMJIIkh
GREAT advice except that it doesn't work here in the parts of the country where we have extended periods of winter.

Using some ONR (no-rinse) in the garage can work but the layer of road salt and crap needs to be wetted down pretty good if you're trying not to introduce excess swirls (or feel like you're washing your car with sandpaper).

Sometimes I wonder why I put up with winter but then remember that it's worth it for the fresh air, space and sanity.

Rule #2. Get an electric pressure washer and wash it yourself. It's easy and fun.

This one is on sale: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...ag=tbpre-20&ascsubtag=01IPFQw23bxrW50IaMJIIkh

As jsargevt posted above, you must forget "Winter" or lots of ppl living in North.

Is Tesla making "Cars" or just a high tech toy? So why Tesla cars cannot go through a simple "Car Wash" that billions of other cars can do without any problems (no matter cheap/luxury Cars). Is this Tesla design/quality issue or Tesla users problem?

Or some one might say Tesla is not for you if you live in North with cold winter, or you do not have house, where you can charge your car & wash it by yourself. However, is it the way Tesla thinks how to make their business? If no, then Tesla needs to fix all the existing and potential issues to honor their loyal customers, not the reverse that many of their loyal customers try to find proper ways to drive Tesla Cars with these issues.

Is it possible that the water or brushes are contacting the handle in a way to start the “process” to open the door and lower the window a crack? I know the OP was told the emergency hatch was used according to service but I know with my own car (not a Tesla) that any time I come near the sensors in the handles during a wash or rinse it locks or unlocks the car.

Is it possible that the water or brushes are contacting the handle in a way to start the “process” to open the door and lower the window a crack? I know the OP was told the emergency hatch was used according to service but I know with my own car (not a Tesla) that any time I come near the sensors in the handles during a wash or rinse it locks or unlocks the car.
This isn’t just unlocking. The vehicle thinks the door is open. If it were the door handle itself being triggered, the door would physically unlatch but that’s not happening.

also, OP and I (and I think a couple others) have had this happen to only the same door- the rear passenger door. There’s obviously something unique about this door as it isn’t happening to any others.

This issue would likely be triggered by a home wash, there’s nothing unique about the mechanics of a touchless car wash.

All the anti-car-wash sentiment around here is hilarious. This is my DD utility car. It was only $65k. I’ll be taking it camping, towing with it, driving it through mud and hard winters. For me, it doesn’t represent a priceless collectible car. Maybe this anti-car-wash dogma resonates with SoCal fair-weather debt-rich poseurs, but it definitely isn’t the case that everyone needs to pretend that the Tesla badge up front should be treated like it’s a Spirit of Ecstasy.

Last edited:

Rule #3: Ignore Rule #1. I have a pressure washer at home, but if I use that I will be spending 20 minutes wiping it down with Optimum No Rinse Clean and Shine to avoid the water spots from hard water, which is my weekend routine hand wash. The touchless car wash I went to has a soft water rinse that leaves no spots, and I have used it on our MS and M3 on our way back from road trips just to get the grime off.

Remember that my goal was to avoid doing a hand wash. And to, um, confirm water tightness. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
If you are looking to make a charitable contribution to lower your taxable income, I am happy to accept a donated Model Y that is “only” 65k... or even the “basic AWD” 53k one! ;) ;) ;)

I don’t fret about car washes. I enjoy it in the spring, summer, and fall, so I do it myself with some hose cannon that goes onto my garden hose. It does work nicely but it does take a while. I usually have to finish up with a Turtle Wax Spray n Dry type product to avoid the spots.

In the winter, I’ll use the local car wash in town.

Similar thing has happened to me, but with it being outside the car. Was in the house, with the door to the garage open, and heard a noise from the garage. Went out and the passenger window was down an inch. A day earlier, I noticed the rear passenger window was down an inch as well while it was parked. At the time I thought maybe it was me hitting the window switch. Never looked at the screen to see if it thought the door was open. But also nothing to do with a car wash (haven't washed it ever, since I'm waiting to take it in on Monday for a paint chip).

Just got 2020.24.6.5 (was on 2020.12.12), so we'll see if the update fixes this or not. Definitely not good! My 2017 Model S has done this to me once or twice during the entire 2 1/2 years of ownership, so that's why I'm thinking they can fix it in software.