Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Door not registering as open

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2020 Model 3 dual with 91k miles. When I open the driver’s door, the system thinks it is still closed. While pressing the button, the window drops and I can open the door, but as soon as I let go of the button the window pops back up and the computer thinks the door is closed.

Does anyone know where the sensor for this is? How much is the part?

2020 Model 3 dual with 91k miles. When I open the driver’s door, the system thinks it is still closed. While pressing the button, the window drops and I can open the door, but as soon as I let go of the button the window pops back up and the computer thinks the door is closed.

PXL_20210617_144130547_Original.jpeg
Same thing happened to me. It’s was about $400 to fix mobile service.

Upvote 0

From looking at the parts catalog, my guess is it just uses the door latch to sense if the door is open. The part number for that for the driver's door appears to be 1500672-00-B (DOOR LATCH - FRONT-LEFT - GL1)
Parts Catalog

You may be able to find some on eBay. But some of them appear to have different part numbers.

There is also a door pressure sensor but that seems to be used for side impact detection, not to detect if the door is open.

You can look all around the door and see if there might be any sensor that the door touches against when it is closed, but I don't recall seeing one last I looked.

In this thread, people with the opposite issue (door is shown as open when closed) the cause was the wiring harness, so it may not necessarily be the latch.
Door sensor and window malfunction occurred during a car wash!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Do you happen to have an aftermarket door puddle light installed on this door? Believe it or not, the circuit for this light affects the door and window circuit and faulty aftermarket lights are known to cause issues similar to yours. If you do have an aftermarket light, try swapping it back out for the original.
Nothing aftermarket on the car. But thanks for the reply.
It was the door latch and a wiring harness.
thanks $400, I think I will Let them fix it. Just have to wait till July. I actually have other things happening now, but don’t know if it is related. Doors won’t lock when I walk away, the lights stay on extended time. Wiring harness does sound possible as it could be a short.

Upvote 0