Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Door Shutting Window Rattle When Down

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's not normal. I just tested my 2018 LR RWD, both driver and passenger side front doors with windows rolled all the way down (tested one a time). Neither one gave any bit of rattle. If the SC gives you the "this is normal" crap, tell them you have friends for which this doesn't happen.

It might be a hit or miss but another friend with 2018 Model 3 also does the same and the showroom car at the SC did as well. After two years I've just accepted this isn't a Mercedes :)

• Funny
Reactions: iSpine
Make videos and post on Youtube. I was wondering, like @AxlxA , whether taking off the door panel and studying what was rattling and whether there was a way to dampen it. Since I rarely close the door with the window down, it's low priority for me. I may have closed the door that way twice in 2 years! Now that @novox77 says his doesn't rattle, it makes me think something might be correctable, like a missing clip, etc.

Let us all know if you do ever figure it out.

100% normal. I've owned two 3's now and they both have this rattle. This is such a minor annoyance that I don't even pay any attention to it, and I'd like to think I'm a perfectionist. how often do you have your windows all the way down and you're closing your doors?

Reactions: McFlurri
Service guy just left. There’s definitely still a rattle sound when closing the door but not as harsh as before. He told me a seal was off inside my door and the window pane was definitely rattling around and contacting something. That sound is now gone but I do still hear a rattle and if I’m honest I hear it on passenger side as well so I think this will be as good as it gets.

Reactions: KenC
Normal. My 2018 Model 3 LR RWD has done this since day 1

Since you disagreed with my "not normal" post:

I think it's fair to say that between rattling window and non-rattling window, most everyone prefers the non-rattling. And since there are multiple examples from multiple years of cars that don't exhibit rattling, I would consider that to be the intended design of the car. Someone even observed it only happens on one of their doors. Why would the noisy door be the normal one?

That you got a car that rattled since day 1 doesn't indicate it's normal. Same goes other NVH issues or undesired behavior.

I actually find it ironic that my car, which was made during production hell, managed to get this aspect right, while many newer cars suffer from the problem. And I bet it's not a hard problem to fix.