Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Doors only wrap?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Sanny

Jul 7, 2013
US
Preparing for my delivery and considering wrap/protection options.
Just by looking at my current car (midsize SUV) I do not see that many chips on the front of the car, but a lot more are on the doors from supermarket parking I guess.

So I think it might make sense to wrap all doors only. Just did some search and couldn't find any mentions of that option - did anyone consider this?

On the other side, Model 3 is much lower than my current SUV and maybe it might get more chips on the front from highway driving?
Please share your thoughts on that.

You might want to consider getting the front wrapped with ppf. IMHO there seems to be a lot of frontal exposure on the Model 3, especially if you don't have the front license plate installed. I guess it also depends on the traffic and road conditions you are driving on. I don't know where you are located, but in Northern CA, it seems there is road construction everywhere.

I decided to get my whole car wrapped with ppf. Now, I just need to decide between Xpel Ultimate clear and Xpel Stealth. The Model 3 will be the ninth car I've had ppf installed on, but it will be my first to get the whole car wrapped.

Good luck on your decision !

As a shop owner and installer of the clear bra film, let me give my 2 cents.

During normal driving, everything in the air is the enemy of your paint. From bugs to sand and rocks. Generally those things hit the front end of the car the most. Only under rare occasions to things hit your doors. Usually it when you are driving in loose gravel and turning, the front tires can toss rocks up onto your doors. Shopping cart type damage is another cause, however those generally appear as "dings" aka mini-dents. Shopping carts don't usually chip the paint, its more of a scuff. In any case, the more of the body panels you cover the less likely those things will hurt the actual paint. I have never had a client only get the doors and not buy the front end. The opposite is much more common.

Reactions: Need
My 2 cents is that if it's within your budget wrap the front in addition to the doors. Even better would be to do the entire car but that's $$$. The decision to protect the front also depends on how much highway driving you do. Things in the air hitting the car at highways speeds cause more damage than those same things at city speeds.

Preparing for my delivery and considering wrap/protection options.
Just by looking at my current car (midsize SUV) I do not see that many chips on the front of the car, but a lot more are on the doors from supermarket parking I guess.

So I think it might make sense to wrap all doors only. Just did some search and couldn't find any mentions of that option - did anyone consider this?

On the other side, Model 3 is much lower than my current SUV and maybe it might get more chips on the front from highway driving?
Please share your thoughts on that.
The front of the 3 might as well have come from the factory with a bullseye painted on the hood.