Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DIY PPF

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thinking of doing my own PPF. Never done it before, but does not seem out of my wheelhouse. Looking around a. little and I see options from Tesbro which is more expensive than I was expecting. For less than half I can get a kit from 3M off of Ebay. Not really sure what the best options are for the DIY group. Can you get Xcel for DIY kits? Maybe I should just wrap it. Kind of want to drive with a blue for a bit before I wrap it, but don't wan to chip it all up. Any advice.

I got a clear 3M Pro PPF via eBay to wrap my front bumper.

Whew, it was hard. I prepared as best I could by watching videos, and had already had some practice with rear bumper PPF I've done in the past.

I am patient, and have a good eye for detail. But wrapping a car is much harder than it looks. Even though I completed the front bumper, tiny flecks of dust got under the PPF, that resulted in tiny bubbles visible after it all dried out.

I'm leaving it on, for now. But I don't think I will DIY it, again.

Over the last 3 or 4 years, I have seen people post about their experiences doing PPF themselves. The consensus is that the flat panels of the car are relatively easy to do, but any curved panel is very difficult. I wonder if it might be more doable if you have a buddy to help you. It seems like a 2 person job for sure.

Reactions: Clover
You can get XPEL DIY directly from XPEL. I bought a little strip for my back bumper.

I also bought a rocker kit from Car Protection Pros , but most of my DIY PPF is from InvisibleMask - Paint Protection For Your Car

Hood is easy since it's flattish. Doors are easy, since they're mostly flat, but big so a 3rd hand would be nice. Rockers are easy, but you need to get on your back, and they're long so a 2nd person would help. Fenders are starting to get harder, since it's curvy, but relatively small, so manageable. Mirror caps are surprisingly hard, because they're extremely curvy, but good practice to learn how to stretch the PPF. Front bumper is insanely hard. You not only could use help from a 2nd person to hold the big piece, but you need extreme amounts of patience, because it will take time.