Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to reset / open jammed M3 back door

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Q1 s there a simple way to reset the back door lock. It won't open from the outside nor from the inside. The door locks somewhat less frim as the other side but it won't open. Tried to lock and unlosck several times but to no avail.

Q2 Anybody with additional info / instruction to remove the the lock (could only find replacement of the front door handle see below)

Situaton : I wanted to pick up a rear passanger. I stepped out. Pushed the front of the handle of the back door with one vinger of one hand to unlock and engage the auto open/close mode. I used a vinger of the other hand on top of the slightly lowered window to open the door for the passenger. Bad idea.

My vinger on the door handle slipped and automatically the door & window auto closed and my other vinger got seriously stuck between the closing window and the door frame. I was able to pulled the brused and bleading vinger out but since then the door is jammed. Previous cars the window would auto stop. Tesla widows mechanism are not so smart. Lucky that it was me and not the childeren I picked up.

Info I could find was on window & doorcard removal and doorhandle front.

)

Anthoer video shows how to remove door panel and window ( look at full video first before starting f.i. marking the window bolt & NOT to remove the regulator info comes later)

Last edited:
Q1 s there a simple way to reset the back door lock. It won't open from the outside nor from the inside. The door locks somewhat less frim as the other side but it won't open. Tried to lock and unlosck several times but to no avail.

Q2 Anybody with additional info / instruction to remove the the lock (could only find replacement of the front door handle see below)

Situaton : I wanted to pick up a rear passanger. I stepped out. Pushed the front of the handle of the back door with one vinger of one hand to unlock and engage the auto open/close mode. I used a vinger of the other hand on top of the slightly lowered window to open the door for the passenger. Bad idea.

My vinger on the door handle slipped and automatically the door & window auto closed and my other vinger got seriously stuck between the closing window and the door frame. I was able to pulled the brused and bleading vinger out but since then the door is jammed. Previous cars the window would auto stop. Tesla widows mechanism are not so smart. Lucky that it was me and not the childeren I picked up.
There is an anti-pinch detection, but it may only work when you are using the window buttons, not for the door close auto retraction.

Never use your fingers on the window to open the door. Just use the handle to pull.
Info I could find was on window & doorcard removal and doorhandle front.

)

Anthoer video shows how to remove door panel and window ( look at full video first before starting f.i. marking the window bolt & NOT to remove the regulator info comes later)
When you pull the door do you hear the electronic latch operating and the window slightly drop down (and you being able to pull the door out a little)? If so, the latch may be working fine, but your door seal is stuck.

If that is the case, if your car is under warranty, Tesla can fix it for free. If not, someone mentioned how to fix a stuck seal in this thread:

If 's bit of a yoga exercise to get the panel out with the door closed .But it worked.

In addition to the video''s

Unclip the back seat and flip it up (no need to disconnect the heating and senor plugs)

Torx 30 for door handle (one behind a clip)

After removing door panel (you can leave the plugs too.)
Remove the 2 rubbers and centre the window bolts. I first taped the window on the outside to the body before disconnecting the bolts of the window frame.

8mm to remove the window motor panel only. Not the motor from the panel.!
You can turn the panel 90° with plugs connected to reach the lower bolts (with a longer extension) more easily.

Last edited: