Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dope: Rashed Uberturbines First Week

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I curbed my 20" inductions this past weekend. Super bummed. It's not too bad - but still noticeable and heart breaking. I touched it up with a black eXtreme Sharpie. Not an exact color match but it is a lot better. I'm going to put on Wheel Bands...these wheels are too easy to curb. This is the first time in 6-7 years that I've done this.

Attachments

• E5DA06B0-FD3B-4513-960C-A558E790C069.jpeg
    E5DA06B0-FD3B-4513-960C-A558E790C069.jpeg
    699.4 KB · Views: 498
I have the Ford Dark Shadow Grey paint as well as Tesla Superstore Sonic Carbon and they are a shade lighter than the Uberturbines although they are an exact match for the Aeros on my 3. I would say the Uberturbines are almost black if not fully black?

I’m still looking!

Charles

One trick I've used for several years: I purchased a "Color Muse" on Amazon for around 60 dollars. It is placed against whatever alloy wheel you are trying to match up, and an app on your phone will give you paint store (not automotive) color matches. You go to Benjamin Moore, Sherwin Williams, Home Depot (Behr), etc and get the color sample card. You take that card to an automotive supply store with paint samples and look at the caps to match the color. It's less tedious than it sounds, and it works!

• Informative
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
@jjs1 was that paint a match?

I am very satisfied with the color match. It's not 100%, but I would say it's 90%. I had curb rash on the edge of my rims, so it wasn't too bad to start with. I originally sharpie'd it and could notice it when up close. I bought a can of this spray paint and lightly sanded down the rash and gave it two light coats of spray. Once it dried, I had trouble finding the original damage spot.

Ugh! Sorry that happened to you. Instead of trying to touch it up yourself, I suggest you take it to a place that specializes in wheel repair. See if they can repair that one area without doing the entire wheel if possible.
Agree...if you want the wheel to look as good as new then a mobile repair service like Alloy Wheel Repair will get it done...but at a cost maybe $100 or so.

Reactions: tracykarin
I am very satisfied with the color match. It's not 100%, but I would say it's 90%. I had curb rash on the edge of my rims, so it wasn't too bad to start with. I originally sharpie'd it and could notice it when up close. I bought a can of this spray paint and lightly sanded down the rash and gave it two light coats of spray. Once it dried, I had trouble finding the original damage spot.
Your Sharpie picture of the 20" Inductions didn't look too bad honestly. What did you end up using to lightly sand the rash down before applying the spray paint? And you just spray painted the the rash not the entire wheel, correct? Thanks cause I rashed mine, albeit a tiny area on the edge of the rim

Your Sharpie picture of the 20" Inductions didn't look too bad honestly. What did you end up using to lightly sand the rash down before applying the spray paint? And you just spray painted the the rash not the entire wheel, correct? Thanks cause I rashed mine, albeit a tiny area on the edge of the rim

Sharpie was fine, but I'd have to reapply after washing the car and stuff. Wasn't a long term solution. I used some 300 grit sandpaper to just get the rough spots down. And yes, I taped off the rash spots and spray two coats. It was a closer match than sharpie.

Just an update. I took my car to Precision Wheel Repair in Schaumburg and the owner Mark did an amazing job. He made sure to put the paint camera on my wheel to match it exactly. It took less than 1.5 hours and you cannot even tell anything was ever any damage. Highly recommend him if you are in the Chicago area. He is mobile so he will even come to you. I only went to him because he wanted to make sure to match the color at the paint shop because no one had the color yet..

117884830_10224595204456193_3820481111772239043_n.jpg

Reactions: DanDi58 and brinox
Just an update. I took my car to Precision Wheel Repair in Schaumburg and the owner Mark did an amazing job. He made sure to put the paint camera on my wheel to match it exactly. It took less than 1.5 hours and you cannot even tell anything was ever any damage. Highly recommend him if you are in the Chicago area. He is mobile so he will even come to you. I only went to him because he wanted to make sure to match the color at the paint shop because no one had the color yet..

117884830_10224595204456193_3820481111772239043_n.jpg

Did he come up with a specific paint code or was this a custom match that he had to mix himself? I rashed mine yesterday in a tight parking lot entrance...

Did he come up with a specific paint code or was this a custom match that he had to mix himself? I rashed mine yesterday in a tight parking lot entrance...

I went to his paint shop first and he put the paint camera on it to get a match since Tesla doesn't release the paint codes to their wheels. He said he did a few before and they were 98% close, but now that he got the camera on it I cannot even tell the difference.

If you find someone that owns a paint/body shop, they should be able to do the same. I couldn't find anything close to it in the stores or online.