Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Doubting Price is real!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It’d be a bit strange but possibly Elon is using the Kickstarter approach where the first investors “reservation holders” will get the truck at cost or even below cost in order to fuel the demand and put HUGE pressure on the other manufacturers. Remember, buying a turkey at thanksgiving is always a loss leader for the grocery store but that can of cranberry sauce has a 300% markup. Because the CT’s looks are so controversial Tesla may have thought/assumed reservations would be 50K or so and figured they could lose on the first 50K but then jack up the price by $10/$15/$20K as production draws near and the styling has settled in. If my theory is to hold any water, as details come out the “real” pricing will be revealed and all but the current reservation holders will have to fork over the higher costs. As a reservation holder, I hope this is the case.

Last edited:
@Wshowell
For any pressure to be applied to any other manufacturer would require Tesla to fabricate enough CTs and sell enough CTs. 50k CTs wouldn't do that in any form as it's a drop in a bucket.

One thing we must readjust our beliefs on is the fact that EM is NOT doing it for the money. That is not his goal. But he fully understands that making some money is required to get investment on board to reach his non-monetary goals.

As for the cost of the CT I'm quietly confident there won't be more than a 10% price fluctuation on release. I do expect a flurry of additional options, most of which I'll want :)