Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used X plaid prices! Could they get to the 60s by the end of the year?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anybody noticed the used X plaid prices are dropping hard? They're starting to reach just under $75k I've seen a couple. I've also seen a bunch under $80k all low miles under 35-40k. I wonder if they're reach 60s I think there's a lot of steals out there not sure why you'd even buy new at this point

Only reason we bought a new X was due to the transfer of free supercharging. With how much we drive and our overnight charging rate, it saves us about $4,000/year. Likewise others might buy a new one to get FSD transfer.

But, I agree, besides those situations, there’s little reason to buy new, except some people just want new.

Reactions: Jayskywalker21
Only reason we bought a new X was due to the transfer of free supercharging. With how much we drive and our overnight charging rate, it saves us about $4,000/year. Likewise others might buy a new one to get FSD transfer.

But, I agree, besides those situations, there’s little reason to buy new, except some people just want new.
That is a good point if you can transfer for free SC then that's huge

That is a good point if you can transfer for free SC then that's huge
I was getting PPF and tint done the other day to our new X, and there was another customer picking up his new S and another dropping off a new X as well. Both of them also mentioned transfer of FSD or free supercharging as the number one reason for buying a new Tesla.

We most likely would not have bought another Tesla. But, now that free Supercharging transfers and our utility is a greedy bastard, we’re kind of stuck with a Tesla until one of them gives.

We plan on keeping ours for many years so not sure I really care what the used prices are doing and it is a tax write off for our business. This is one of the best cars we have ever owned.
Ok that's beautiful, let me preface by saying I am not trying to put anyone down for BUYING new it was just a general statement at the end and I want this post to be more of just an acknowledgement of the used market dropping significantly. This has very little to actually do with people who are buying new and more about me just pointing out the used market and what's out there currently.

Another issue is that the Plaids keep getting better. They run faster, charge faster, have better interiors, faster computers, higher resolution cameras, etc.
Most all high production/high priced cars, from all manufacturers, tend to depreciate faster than more base models. Check out depreciation for AMG models from Mercedes.

Model X Plaids also get the benefits of Section 179 and accelerated depreciation schedules. Profitable companies save a ton on their taxes by purchasing new SUVs. Economically practical for them to replace them every couple years. They can essentially write off the entire purchase price in the first year.

Warranty would be the big #1 reason for me, Plaid or LR.

Not so much the drivetrain/battery which is 8yrs/150k already, but the bumper-to-bumper (4yrs/50k), because especially compared to a Model 3/Y the S/X components (suspension especially) ain't cheap.

Sure you could pick up one used an add an extended warranty from Tesla or Xcare or others for $3-5k+, but I'm happy getting my X LR at the so far lowest base of $79,990 before incentives.

Just got my IRS direct deposit this morning for the full $7500, so effectively the vehicle cost me $71,500 new after the extra $1k Tesla Loyalty offer I jumped on in Sept. 2023. No sales tax here in NJ (soon to change) so saved a few $$$$ there too. :cool:

Warranty would be the big #1 reason for me, Plaid or LR.

Not so much the drivetrain/battery which is 8yrs/150k already, but the bumper-to-bumper (4yrs/50k), because especially compared to a Model 3/Y the S/X components (suspension especially) ain't cheap.

Sure you could pick up one used an add an extended warranty from Tesla or Xcare or others for $3-5k+, but I'm happy getting my X LR at the so far lowest base of $79,990 before incentives.

Just got my IRS direct deposit this morning for the full $7500, so effectively the vehicle cost me $71,500 new after the extra $1k Tesla Loyalty offer I jumped on in Sept. 2023. No sales tax here in NJ (soon to change) so saved a few $$$$ there too. :cool:

Wait why no sales tax? also does this apply to used? I mean I'm in NY but I'm curious

Wait why no sales tax? also does this apply to used? I mean I'm in NY but I'm curious
Pure EV's (ZEV) have been sales tax free here in NJ since 2004 and yes, applies to new and used. :)

Unfortunately, very recently they are looking to phase this EV perk out now over a 3-year span. No set dates yet, but most are assuming with the new fiscal year in July.

As you can imagine the sales of EV's are quite different vs. nearly 20-years ago, and in fact NJ EV's just hit 10% of all new vehicle sales in 2023.

Knew this was coming sooner or later. :confused:

Pure EV's (ZEV) have been sales tax free here in NJ since 2004 and yes, applies to new and used. :)

Unfortunately, very recently they are looking to phase this EV perk out now over a 3-year span. No set dates yet, but most are assuming with the new fiscal year in July.

As you can imagine the sales of EV's are quite different vs. nearly 20-years ago, and in fact NJ EV's just hit 10% of all new vehicle sales in 2023.

Maybe I'm missing something but I don't see anything like this for NY which is a bummer. Damn I would love to register a brand new 80k car for no sales tax that's amazing honestly. You save 7k right off the bat

Reactions: NJturtlePower
I still remember when Tesla used to guarantee the resale value when you bought new from them...

Maybe if they brought it back, the new sales numbers would go north faster than with the current supercharging and FSD incentives they rely on to goose more sales...

Lots of folks with itchy trigger fingers are not putting orders in because they are concerned the car will lose too much value too quickly if they bought new today...

Yeah but they get ya on those property taxes! Personally I'm ok with sales tax on my teslas, because my property tax is only around $1,200 per year. On top of that, my electric utility only charges around 2.5¢/kwh at night (special EV rate). I can fuel both of our Teslas for roughly $20/month combined.

Reactions: NJturtlePower
The one thing about Plaid is the market is a lot smaller given that the only seating arrangement you can get it with is the captains 6-seater.

It’s very not useful for us wanting an adult next to a little one in the second row, and not being able to haul bigger things since the seats can’t fold.

The one thing about Plaid is the market is a lot smaller given that the only seating arrangement you can get it with is the captains 6-seater.

It’s very not useful for us wanting an adult next to a little one in the second row, and not being able to haul bigger things since the seats can’t fold.
Truthfully I don’t even need the utility of a truck or space/seats I just love the doors and the look of the car. Would be nice to actually have a refreshed interior my car is getting a little boring for me right now.

Reactions: SpicyPaneer