Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Downgrading from P to AWD after confirming

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am one of those who decided to upgrade to the P3D in order to get the white interior. I have confirmed my order and my edit button is gone. No VIN number.

When I found out Tesla was now offering white with the regular AWD configuration, I called Tesla to see if I could change my order. After being on hold for 90 minutes, a very nice rep told me that they were swamped with calls since model 3 orders opened up and were also working through a system issue that kept people from being able to change their car designs. He said they have a work around which involves requesting your changes via email. He sent me a template to fill out and I sent that in yesterday. My design has not updated yet, I hope to hear back from them soon.

I have been a Tesla owner since 2013 and Tesla has always done the right thing for me, I hope they will be able to accommodate the request since I don’t really need the performance version. I’m sure I’ll spend my savings on another Tesla when my kids reach driving age.

If my car is already done (I never had a vin assigned so I don’t think it is), then I guess I will just enjoy the performance version! Good to see it getting great reviews.

I’ll keep you guys posted but thought others might be interested in my experience

• Funny
Reactions: Snerruc
The template I got is below. It came from [email protected]. The subject line was “order modification” along with a unique code which I assume is related to my phone call on their CRM system. Not sure if you need to get your own code or not...good luck!

———————————

Thank you for contacting Tesla Support. You have recently reached out to us to request a design change to your Model 3. Please provide the following information in order for us to process this request.
Reservation Number: (RN-)
  1. Options to add (if applicable):
  2. Options to remove (if applicable):
  3. Any additional detail:
Please visit out Support Page, which covers frequently asked questions about Tesla and your vehicle. If you have any further questions or concerns, you can reach Customer Support 24/7 at [email protected] or by phone at 1-877-79-TESLA (83752).

Sincerely

• Informative
Reactions: bhzmark
I think they should let you change it, since it was advertised as being exclusive to the P which is not true. Exclusive for like 1 day maybe or the 5 P models they delivered before they changed their minds? I also think you should get to keep your place in line due to the above.

Alternatively they could give you the car and change the software to make it a regular AWD :) and not really lose any money or time.

I think they should let you change it, since it was advertised as being exclusive to the P which is not true. Exclusive for like 1 day maybe or the 5 P models they delivered before they changed their minds? I also think you should get to keep your place in line due to the above.

Alternatively they could give you the car and change the software to make it a regular AWD :) and not really lose any money or time.

I don't think it was ever described by Tesla as "exclusive" to the P- it was described as being first available on the P due to restricted supply of the white interior pieces and then coming to the other models as either demand for P dropped or supply of white improved.

Which, apparently, has happened (either one or both of those)

Reactions: bhzmark
I don't think it was ever described by Tesla as "exclusive" to the P- it was described as being first available on the P due to restricted supply of the white interior pieces and then coming to the other models as either demand for P dropped or supply of white improved.

Which, apparently, has happened (either one or both of those)
I'm 100% certain right under the white interior option it stated "exclusive to performance". I almost went for the P model and removed AP, sport wheels and FSD just to get that interior option.

tesla-model-3-configurator-white-interior-option.png

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Knightshade
I sit corrected :)

I was going by Elons tweet where someone asked, in May, how soon it'd be available on other configs- and he said probably 3-4 months depending on demand as they could only make 1k/week right now.

Given the change came near end of July he called it pretty close (especially by elon standards)

• Funny
Reactions: Glamisduner
update, i have not heard from tesla regarding my change request but in parallel i got an email from my delivery advisor, a delivery date of August 18, and a vin number (74xxx).

my delivery advisor is now looking into whether they can make the change this late in the game.

Did you change your order with the delivery advisor or you did it yourself?

I just don't trust them after they screwed up my order after 30 days... I wish theirwebsite was more transparent and accurate.
They said they would change it but haven't yet. I'm scared to use that edit link posted above. I'm pretty sure I'm going to end up in some sort of purgatory. As long as I get my car by the end of the year it will be ok. I'll wait on the phone for 2 hours again on Monday.

They said they would change it but haven't yet. I'm scared to use that edit link posted above. I'm pretty sure I'm going to end up in some sort of purgatory. As long as I get my car by the end of the year it will be ok. I'll wait on the phone for 2 hours again on Monday.

I just looked at my delivery adviser info on Linked and she is been with company for 3 months. I put my order a month ago and wonder if she screw it up if the first place and to this still not correct I don't who else can I contact. I should have a new correct order agreement by now.

I actually call them the customer service because I though maybe the info my website hasn't been update but maybe on their system is correct but is not updated in their system either.

Last edited:
On July 26, I made the call to Tesla to downgrade from AWD to just LR (prefer the longer range) and was emailed the same template that @MrPinrel shared. I immediately replied to the email but haven’t heard anything back and there’s obviously been no change on my design page.

Very curious to see - 1. How this will affect the original delivery window I was given for the AWD variant (sept - nov 2018), and 2. When I will hear something back confirming this change.

Does anyone have any insight or experience on the aforementioned?