Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drag racing question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

coleAK

Oct 23, 2018
Alaska
So my wife really wants to drag race her 3 this summer. Has anyone “officially” raced their Tesla. Per NHRA all traction aids must be disabled. I’m trying to figure out if “slip start” counts. Does anyone know? My thinking is no and we don’t really have official race 1/4 mile times. I’ve talked to the local guys and reached out to national with no luck.

Wow.

I guess I can't really help then because though I've been down a drag strip dozens of times, my passes have all been at "Test & Tune" events.

She might want to consider doing a few of those first before entering a sanctioned event...
It’s more the fact we have one drag strip in state and they are NHRA rules all the time even on “sport night” as they call it. The only way around it is if a group rents out the entire facility.

She has a helmet. I got her into SCCA and PCCA when we had our GT3. Track dosnt open until late May but she is excited to give it a go.

Next thing is I’ll have to probably drive my rig and bring a generator to charge since it’s ~80 miles each way. And nowhere to charge between here and there and no RV hookups there at the camping area.

So my wife really wants to drag race her 3 this summer. Has anyone “officially” raced their Tesla. Per NHRA all traction aids must be disabled. I’m trying to figure out if “slip start” counts. Does anyone know? My thinking is no and we don’t really have official race 1/4 mile times. I’ve talked to the local guys and reached out to national with no luck.

My understanding is that disabling slip start would actually make it worse.

One guy got slightly better 0-60 times with track mode though

either way I would just show up and ask, it's only a button press to turn it off anyway!

My understanding is that disabling slip start would actually make it worse.

One guy got slightly better 0-60 times with track mode though

either way I would just show up and ask, it's only a button press to turn it off anyway!
How would Turning on slip start make the traction control involved worse? I think what you are trying to say is the car will be slower with slip start on. Yes it probably will. Will also probably be slower with all traction control off.

But to get an official 1/4 mile time or to drive when official rules are required, per NHRA rules “all electronic or mechanical traction control must be disabled”. Really what that does is adds a level of driver skill. Otherwise with launch, traction control, driving aids,... where does skill come in.

Next thing is I’ll have to probably drive my rig and bring a generator to charge since it’s ~80 miles each way. And nowhere to charge between here and there and no RV hookups there at the camping area.

Unless you're planning to be there for many hours before you race, don't think the generator is going to do much for you.....at most, will only be adding a few miles of range per hour of running. Unless you've got some sort of super high output generator that can provide something better than 15A/110V power.

Unless you're planning to be there for many hours before you race, don't think the generator is going to do much for you.....at most, will only be adding a few miles of range per hour of running. Unless you've got some sort of super high output generator that can provide something better than 15A/110V power.
I have a few. Biggest one is 12k watt 240v. And reall there would be no other option, peak HP output is at 90% charge so I would want to be at 90% there. And I have to drive ~80 miles to get there with nowhere to charge other than 110 outlet at the track..