Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dragy times for Plaid and LR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One more showing voltage sag--top traces are at the motors, bottom are the pedal position and vehicle speed (kph). The one consistent pattern I see is once the car hits 60 mph, it draws less power. Not sure if that is by design (sandbagging) or there is some system limit.

View attachment 690701

so this is voltage and your prior graph was current?

• Love
Reactions: EndlessPlaid
Ouch on the taxes! I can understand the frustration. would you normally pay 15% on the 170k?
Yep 15% is the tax on everything in my province. But we will have the new 20% luxury tax on top of that. Whenever I go in the US and people tell me how lucky I am to live in Canada, I’m always thinking, those free services you think we have, we actually pay for them with taxes (well those who work at least). I have 50% income tax, and 15% sales taxes on everything I buy. Almost everything we buy costs 20-25% more than in the US. Cost of living in Canada is insanely high. 😭

Yep 15% is the tax on everything in my province. But we will have the new 20% luxury tax on top of that. Whenever I go in the US and people tell me how lucky I am to live in Canada, I’m always thinking, those free services you think we have, we actually pay for them with taxes (well those who work at least). I have 50% income tax, and 15% sales taxes on everything I buy. Almost everything we buy costs 20-25% more than in the US. Cost of living in Canada is insanely high. 😭

WOW! Well that new luxury tax is like double taxation and should be illegal IMHO. If I were in your shoes I probably would not do it either. But hopefully you get the car before it's too late! I have a feeling it won't be too long before the US is trending in that direction though. Makes you wonder well,...why work so hard.

WOW! Well that new luxury tax is like double taxation and should be illegal IMHO. If I were in your shoes I probably would not do it either. But hopefully you get the car before it's too late! I have a feeling it won't be too long before the US is trending in that direction though. Makes you wonder well,...why work so hard.
We have taxes on taxes on a lot of stuff here. But most people seems ok with it because each new election we elect people that promises more free stuff paid with our taxes. It’ll never end.

Anyway, if I can just have the car in time I’m golden.

I was also wondering why these results may be different from this that you posted in the Plaid Battery thread:
This is quoting 818 kw (1,096 hp) from the battery, which seems much more likely IMO. Everything else besides the besides the battery input seems to match the graphs. Can you offer some input? I'm totally thrown for a loop here.:)
img_3dab41af13ba-1-jpeg.689307

Last edited:
Reactions: AMGF and HumanInput
Yes, although it seems more like it is measuring the sag/draw as it drops with acceleration

So, according to Ohm's law P (power in watts) = I (current in amps) x V (volts).

IF I am reading you plots correctly I am seeing ~460 Volts at the motors with each drawing ~550 Amps??

If that is right each motor is consuming 253kW or 339 HP. So 339 HP x3 = 1017 HP.

NOTE: I just realized that I did not have the time samples for the voltage and current plots lined up, so I need to go back and re-calculate

Last edited:
So, the voltage graph is measuring Volts and shows and it shows each motor is pulling about 100V. The current graph is measuring amps and is showing ~900A, which translates to
Omar, just to be sure. Is the current in amps (A)??? and the voltage is in Volts (V). ? sorry to be a pest I am just trying to see if I can make heads or tails of these numbers.
Yes

Last edited:
  • Informative
I was also wondering why these results may be different from this that you posted in the Plaid Battery thread:
This is quoting 818 kw (1,096 hp) from the battery, which seems much more likely IMO. Everything else besides the besides the battery input seems to match the graphs. Can you offer some input? I'm totally thrown for a loop here.:)
The Teslax Battery Power gauge is looking at two different signals under ID132HVBattAmp called HV Battery Voltage and HW Battery Current and multiplying them together to get Batt Power expressed in kW.

• Informative

Was this measurement taken under max load? This certainly seems to agree with Keith's number that he posted where the battery power is around 1100 HP

• Love
Was this measurement taken under max load? This certainly seems to agree with Keith's number that he posted where the battery power is around 1100 HP

@omarsultan....does this seem to make sense to you? the math seems to work out. but I am assuming some things here that may or may not be correct. when you took this data, was it under max load? To get max HP the car needs to be WOT (wide open throttle) and above 60 MPH (or maybe a little less). If you captured the voltage and current under those conditions, I think I feel good about these assumptions.

• Love
The one consistent pattern I see is once the car hits 60 mph, it draws less power. Not sure if that is by design (sandbagging) or there is some system limit.

View attachment 690701
This is so curious as watching dragy and people running the car in general there is doesn't seem to be a loss in power at that point. Also the car has to fighting traction up to that point so what is the benefit of dumping that juice if it isn't using it currently... I made myself laugh with that pun :D

What type of power is a Ludi or Raven car pulling to get into the lower 2s to 60mph?

Edit: Hmmm... Maybe they have to 'overboost' these motors to get them to perform similar to the old school motors that created all that power on the old Model S's? I recall info stating the PM motors on the P3 would never have that 'hit' like the induction motor on the S.

Last edited:
Just checking, but the roughly 360 Volts of the battery from the picture above is under load, right @omarsultan?
Yes, if you look at the bottom traces, the grey trace shows my going into cheetah mode (goes to 100%), then let off the brake when the red trace moves up. At the same time, the voltage traces drop. When I let of the accelerator (goes to 0%), the voltage goes back to baseline.

This is so curious as watching dragy and people running the car in general there is doesn't seem to be a loss in power at that point. Also the car has to fighting traction up to that point so what is the benefit of dumping that juice if it isn't using it currently... I made myself laugh with that pun :D

What type of power is a Ludi or Raven car pulling to get into the lower 2s to 60mph?
The Cheetah Model S made 614 kw out of its battery in launch mode. That's 825 hp.
@TorqueMonster and I both believe that we are starting to get to the bottom of this weirdness lol. When pack voltage under load is used, which it should be, the pack is outputting about 1100 hp, not 1400 hp.🙂

Reactions: byeLT4