Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dragy times for Plaid and LR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And what is the reason(s) explaining why you have concluded that the 21s would be faster than the 19s?
1) wheel size?
2) wheel weight?
3) tire on the 21s is better than the tire on the 19s?
4) It just came to you in a dream and you don’t know why, but damnit it is true.
5) something else?
4) could be taken the wrong way....just sayin.😉
A combination. The wider tires, and most importantly the Michelin PS4S tires. Basically, it would take the 19s having the same or very similar compound to be faster on the street. We haven't gotten full results, and they may end up being close, but IMO that is where the 21s will really do well. The amount of screeching coming from the 19s on the street is significantly more than what happens in the 21s. This will nullify any benefit that a smaller and lighter wheels will give. On the street. On track, I believe the different will be negligible, as the lighter wheel benefits will be more realized there.🙂

If this helps, here is a 0-60 run on an average street from a couple weeks ago. I have 21s and this was on a less than 50% battery. Dragstrip mode was on but turned it off due to time needed to complete cheetah mode. I did 3 but this was the only valid one. It was also the best of the evening but did not feel like the fastest the car will do as I could feel some traction slippage. Will try to do more this weekend with other speed segments (not getting too crazy on city streets though).

View attachment 707421

I'm not religious but sincere best wishes and prayers for your parents.
@Bull. Thank you on both counts. Yeah, this was what I was looking for. While both the 21s and 19s each have their pluses and minuses, the Tesla claim that both are 1.99s cars (in ideal conditions) seems to be accurate.

Last edited:
You put 18 wheels on AS tires, they will not be faster on this car. With equivalent rubber, absolutely.
The fastest times for the P85DLs are on 19” with all seasons.

But if you think AS are slower, you should be happy that the 19” wheels are shipping with Pirelli Zero Elect tires, which are not AS (to the dismay of people in the NE taking delivery in the fall) but are the summer tires that ship with the Taycan and on the Taycan forum people are happy with them including launches and traction.

4) could be taken the wrong way....just sayin.😉
A combination. The wider tires, and most importantly the Michelin PS4S tires. Basically, it would take the 19s having the same or very similar compound to be faster on the street. We haven't gotten full results, and they may end up being close, but IMO that is where the 21s will really do well. The amount of screeching coming from the 19s on the street is significantly more than what happens in the 21s. This will nullify any benefit that a smaller and lighter wheels will give. On the street. On track, I believe the different will be negligible, as the lighter wheel benefits will be more realized there.🙂
another data point here in regards 21 inch.

1631279191849.png

• Love
Reactions: EndlessPlaid
The fastest times for the P85DLs are on 19” with all seasons.

But if you think AS are slower, you should be happy that the 19” wheels are shipping with Pirelli Zero Elect tires, which are not AS (to the dismay of people in the NE taking delivery in the fall) but are the summer tires that ship with the Taycan and on the Taycan forum people are happy with them including launches and traction.
I know they are, but according to the Pirrelli reps, they said to think of them as "Summers for all seasons." There is some speculation that these tires are somewhere between a mix between AS and summer, so you can drive it all year round. This would be make the compound less sticky than the PS4S, and again, would effect the 0-60. Also, the difference with the P85D, and any other performance Tesla after it, is the substantially more torque that the Plaid offers. This is a big change from the previous car, not a step.

another data point here in regards 21 inch.

View attachment 707469
This is EXACTLY what I was talking about. Whereas the 21s are hitting sub 2 second or really low 2 second passes on the street, this is where the biggest difference would be. The Michelin PS4S tires just cannot be beat, especially on the street. Again, on a dragstrip, it may run 1.99 and 9.23 like the 21 inch Plaid, as the traction is a less of an issue there.

Reactions: Aleks0404
I know they are, but according to the Pirrelli reps, they said to think of them as "Summers for all seasons." There is some speculation that these tires are somewhere between a mix between AS and summer, so you can drive it all year round. This would be make the compound less sticky than the PS4S, and again, would effect the 0-60. Also, the difference with the P85D, and any other performance Tesla after it, is the substantially more torque that the Plaid offers. This is a big change from the previous car, not a step.
What the Pirelli intern said is nonsense. They are max performance summer tires. Ranked higher than the PS4S here.

What the Pirelli intern said is nonsense. They are max performance summer tires. Ranked higher than the PS4S here.

Weird. They sure don't seem to be on the street. You can even see the car hopping slightly on the drag strip in the Tesla Plaid Channel videos. Seriously, go watch Ben Sullins' latest video on the Plaid, and watch when he is giving rides. All you hear is tire squeal. Granted there's usually a chirp from the 21s, but not continued.