Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dragy times for Plaid and LR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Plaid channel guy is finding the 19" faster than the 21s. And that makes sense for the weight savings.

Even when the 19 is a little faster because lighter, Tesla would still rather have people buy the high margin 21 wheels so that will always be the car they supply to the press.
FYI multiple owners have gone faster than his numbers with the 21s. Look at the dragy leaderboard too for 1/8th mile and 1/4 mile... a few results posted there beating his times with the 21s (and no I'm not counting the weight reduction cars). The records we've seen to date are still held by the 21s with those awesome PS4S tires... so until we see otherwise the 19s are not faster. Also, I've seen plenty of 1.48 60fts at the track with the 21s... this guy was doing 1.50s on his 19s.

Invite me to your neck of the woods, and we can do that. I have a Dragy, but we can use your Dragy, too, for consistency.
@WilliamG I would, but just found out both my vaccinated 90 year old parents got Covid from the retirement staff, and that my mother is on her way to the hospital. Both had two doses of the much hyped Pfizer brand. Both are “breakthrough cases” and one is in bad shape on their way to the hospital. Not in a good mood right now, but keeping my mind busy here on TMC. Go ahead and do a run and post the results. We can do a more scientific side by side down the road.

@WilliamG I would, but just found out both my vaccinated 90 year old parents got Covid from the retirement staff, and that my mother is on her way to the hospital. Both had two doses of the much hyped Pfizer brand. Both are “breakthrough cases” and one is in bad shape on their way to the hospital. Not is a food mood right now, but keeping my mind busy here on TMC. Go ahead and do a run and post the results. We can do a more scientific side by side down the road.

Really sorry.... 😢

@WilliamG I would, but just found out both my vaccinated 90 year old parents got Covid from the retirement staff, and that my mother is on her way to the hospital. Both had two doses of the much hyped Pfizer brand. Both are “breakthrough cases” and one is in bad shape on their way to the hospital. Not is a food mood right now, but keeping my mind busy here on TMC. Go ahead and do a run and post the results. We can do a more scientific side by side down the road.
@omarsultan has posted multiple Dragy runs. Was being sarcastic btw with my question lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: jebinc
Btw DragTimes is EXTREMELY dependable on his times. I trust that dude 1000 times more than MT.
Was just looking for an “every day Joe,” who has a Plaid and Dragy, to do a run and post the result. Not looking for a pro racer’s best times. As I mentioned yesterday, this was my first run ever, with cold tires, no Cheetah mode and 7 minutes from drag strip ready mode. Looking for a 21 comp, and not an experts best. Apples to apples.

Was just looking for an “every day Joe,” who has a Plaid and Dragy, to do a run and post the result. Not looking for a pro racer’s best times. As I mentioned yesterday, this was my first run ever, with cold tires, no Cheetah mod and 7 minutes from drag strip ready mode. Looking for a 21 comp and not an experts best Apples to apples.
@omarsultan got a 2.10 or 2.14 second 0-60 on his back road. I'm sure he would be glad to pitch in.🙂

Reactions: jebinc
Was just looking for an “every day Joe,” who has a Plaid and Dragy, to do a run and post the result. Not looking for a pro racer’s best times. As I mentioned yesterday, this was my first run ever, with cold tires, no Cheetah mode and 7 minutes from drag strip ready mode. Looking for a 21 comp, and not an experts best. Apples to apples.
Here is my personal thesis: the 19s on a drag strip will be almost as fast, if not a negligible difference. On the street, it will be a way different story. Traction is already limited in the 21s, and the 19s seem to be more geared towards being an AS than a true summer tire. I've never heard this much tire screeching in Plaid videos until the 19s started getting filmed. Especially with Ben Sullins' video yesterday. It's not horrific, but it's definitely there. The less traction will likely negate any benefit that the smaller and lighter wheels will offer on the street. This will be a lot less of an issue on the drag strip. The lighter wheels will be felt more there for sure.🙂

Honestly I think this is a big step backwards. Two years ago Tesla did a 7:13sec lap and at the time Elon said the production version would be even quicker. Low 7min or even 6min was called by Elon.

Today the production version is 17sec slower. It’s actually a pretty mondaine time, especially for a car capable of trapping 150+mph in 400m. So it seems like Elon/Tesla ****ed things up.

Maybe the Plaid+ was the car that set the 7:13sec time. But once the decision was made to drop the + then there was nothing they could do. Also prototype had spoilers and the production Plaid does not. Again maybe the + was gonna have the nice retractable wing we saw at Laguna Seca.

So for the amazingly high accelerative capacity the Plaid has, that 7:30sec is not impressive. Which means the car really suck at braking and cornering.

Finally the fact Elon dumps the puck into UP territory sucks. Tesla was to launch a Plaid running low 7/high6min. Now they missed the mark by quite a lot and worst sends customers to an aftermarket dealer. Would Porsche say the GT3 is a sub 7min car as long as you send it to Ruf? Makes no sense at all. In fact that’s one of the most stupid things I heard from a manufacturer. If your car doesn’t perform stock, you can’t ride on the success of the aftermarket as it’s not your car anymore, it’s the tuner’s work that then becomes impressive.

Bait and switch tactics again. The car is not the track car Elon promised two years ago, it’s just a very quickly accelerating luxury sedan that’s doing ok on a track. It’s amazing as a street car, but I think Tesla missed the target given Elon’s predictions. They should have put bigger brakes, better suspension, better wheels/tires and some aero to make the Plaid at least match the prototype time. It would justify the price gap with the LR a bit more and would have likely accomplished performance closer to the prototype. Or at least offer it as an in-house package, not by sending people to Unplugged Performance.

Can we get someone here, a real member, to post a Dragy result here with 21s???
If this helps, here is a 0-60 run on an average street from a couple weeks ago. I have 21s and this was on a less than 50% battery. Dragstrip mode was on but turned it off due to time needed to complete cheetah mode. I did 3 but this was the only valid one. It was also the best of the evening but did not feel like the fastest the car will do as I could feel some traction slippage. Will try to do more this weekend with other speed segments (not getting too crazy on city streets though).

IMG_5781.jpeg

I'm not religious but sincere best wishes and prayers for your parents.

Last edited:
Honestly I think this is a big step backwards. Two years ago Tesla did a 7:13sec lap and at the time Elon said the production version would be even quicker. Low 7min or even 6min was called by Elon.

Today the production version is 17sec slower. It’s actually a pretty mondaine time, especially for a car capable of trapping 150+mph in 400m. So it seems like Elon/Tesla ****ed things up.

Maybe the Plaid+ was the car that set the 7:13sec time. But once the decision was made to drop the + then there was nothing they could do. Also prototype had spoilers and the production Plaid does not. Again maybe the + was gonna have the nice retractable wing we saw at Laguna Seca.

So for the amazingly high accelerative capacity the Plaid has, that 7:30sec is not impressive. Which means the car really suck at braking and cornering.

Finally the fact Elon dumps the puck into UP territory sucks. Tesla was to launch a Plaid running low 7/high6min. Now they missed the mark by quite a lot and worst sends customers to an aftermarket dealer. Would Porsche say the GT3 is a sub 7min car as long as you send it to Ruf? Makes no sense at all. In fact that’s one of the most stupid things I heard from a manufacturer. If your car doesn’t perform stock, you can’t ride on the success of the aftermarket as it’s not your car anymore, it’s the tuner’s work that then becomes impressive.

Bait and switch tactics again. The car is not the track car Elon promised two years ago, it’s just a very quickly accelerating luxury sedan that’s doing ok on a track. It’s amazing as a street car, but I think Tesla missed the target given Elon’s predictions. They should have put bigger brakes, better suspension, better wheels/tires and some aero to make the Plaid at least match the prototype time. It would justify the price gap with the LR a bit more and would have likely accomplished performance closer to the prototype. Or at least offer it as an in-house package, not by sending people to Unplugged Performance.
Ok, first thing. Roadster. That will be the low 7 minute monster. It's important to remember that a very likely reason that the Plus was cancelled was it's proximity to the base Roadster's performance. The Plus was going to be the Tesla's crazy, 4680-powered, 300-500 pound lighter, 8-second, low 7 minute beast of a Plaid. I think people sometimes underestimate the value of the 4680s, and the improvements they will make. It is revolutionary, not evolutionary. That Plaid is still coming, just without the Plus. It's just a question of when IMO. Additionally, @Klwtts spotted that red Plaid with the spoiler, but at the same time spotted an unmarked, black Plaid with no wing. That was likely the stock Plaid available today.

Although not quite at the level of the 4680 Plus, it was really not far behind. TBH, I was a little surprised, and I expected it to be faster on the Nürburgring, but I don't think Tesla is done with the stock Plaid. Not even a little bit. Also, we know very little of today's run. We know the time, and the average speed. We don't know if it was still limited to 163 (a massive hindrance if true), the skill of the driver, the SOC, etc... Hopefully more details get shown soon.

Another interesting tidbit: For the first time a few months ago, Tesla granted an aftermarket modifier of Teslas access to the car's computer to someone outside of Tesla. Like actual development and testing SW IIRC. That aftermarket company was nonother than Unplugged Performance. There is a high probability that UP is destined to become Tesla's in-house tuning sub-brand. Like AMG. It would be interesting, but not unlikely, that the people running at the Nürburgring and Laguna are UP themselves, running alongside Tesla, doing the validation and testing of the Track Pack, with Tesla's full support.

Last edited:
No, I’m saying a TMC member with a plaid and 21s. Not a member citing some magazine or YouTuber vid.
We have a ton of them posted in this thread--mine are posted earlier--best I offer got was 2.1 w/ rollout--given I am doing this on a random bumpy background, I think a decent stretch of asphalt is good for another 0.1 sec

@WilliamG I would, but just found out both my vaccinated 90 year old parents got Covid from the retirement staff, and that my mother is on her way to the hospital. Both had two doses of the much hyped Pfizer brand. Both are “breakthrough cases” and one is in bad shape on their way to the hospital. Not in a good mood right now, but keeping my mind busy here on TMC. Go ahead and do a run and post the results. We can do a more scientific side by side down the road.
Sorry dude.

Here is my best run to keep you occupied.

IMG_05C4F486AAC6-1.jpeg

Sorry dude.

Here is my best run to keep you occupied.

View attachment 707423
That is very interesting compared to mine. Your 0-60 was .04 faster than the one I posted but your 0-30 was .4 faster than mine. I gained it back in the 30-60. I was 1.24 and you were 1.61. Your cheetah launch maybe? Or SOC difference? I was less than 50% SOC though. Thoughts?

Yoke absolutely was a thing:

Tbh, quite perplexed at the speed on the straight...... should've been doing nearly if not all of 200 mph, not 166...... I mean we are talking about a car that will likely get 186 mph in the mid to low 14 second range......It should've been at 200 mph 1/2 to 3/4 of the way down the straight. Yeah the limiter is still in place. They haven't turned the wick all the way up yet... cannot wait to see happens when they do.

Last edited:
That is very interesting compared to mine. Your 0-60 was .04 faster than the one I posted but your 0-30 was .4 faster than mine. I gained it back in the 30-60. I was 1.24 and you were 1.61. Your cheetah launch maybe? Or SOC difference? I was less than 50% SOC though. Thoughts?
I have a stretch of road near my home where I do my 0-60 runs for consistency. I have done runs at 100%, 80% and 40% and found little difference--the car seems to run 2.3s day in and day out. The biggest difference I have found is road surface/traction.