Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Draw-Tite Aftermarket Receiver Package

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Love this thread, and thank you all for the great information. Quick question: what is the max supported drop / rise for the Draw-Tite? Getting one installed on my X next week (too scared to do it myself). Goal is to tow my Airstream BaseCamp 20X with it (because the idea is silly and more fun than doing it with my Tundra).

Thank you!
There is no specified restriction from Draw-Tite on the drop or rise. Here is their webpage on the product: Draw-Tite | 76143 | Class III Trailer Hitch.

There is no specified restriction from Draw-Tite on the drop or rise. Here is their webpage on the product: Draw-Tite | 76143 | Class III Trailer Hitch.
Thank you @ohmman. Reading your X + Airstream posts over the last few years has been inspiration for me going down the same path (just taken a while for the Airstream part). Appreciate the information. Looks like towing the BaseCamp 20X (tongue weight 535 lbs, gross weight 4300 lbs) with the draw-tite won’t be a problem.

Reactions: Tedkidd and ohmman
Thank you @ohmman. Reading your X + Airstream posts over the last few years has been inspiration for me going down the same path (just taken a while for the Airstream part). Appreciate the information. Looks like towing the BaseCamp 20X (tongue weight 535 lbs, gross weight 4300 lbs) with the draw-tite won’t be a problem.

You should be good to go. The Draw-Tite is rated up to 750lbs tongue weight and 5000 gross.
Our Surveyor 19BHLE is 4800lbs gross and tows like a dream.

Will you be using a weight distribution hitch? We have the ReCurve R3 system for the Surveyor and I really like it. Easy to hitch up, does a great job controlling sway, and I can backup without removing the trunnion bars. I rather like it.

I do not plan on using a weight distribution hitch since the tongue weight will be well below spec and the X has built in anti sway. If anyone thinks this is a bad idea I am open to being talked into one. I’m just not sure it’s necessary. I also plan to never go above 60 mph when towing.

I do not plan on using a weight distribution hitch since the tongue weight will be well below spec and the X has built in anti sway. If anyone thinks this is a bad idea I am open to being talked into one. I’m just not sure it’s necessary. I also plan to never go above 60 mph when towing.
Technically the Draw-Tite doesn't support WD, and Tesla isn't suggesting they support it either, at least in public-facing communications <cough>. That said, there are benefits to running with WD including stability. There are members who have towed without it for years (@ecarfan and @idoco come to mind). That said, they aren't towing campers as heavy as yours or mine. If I'm remembering correctly, @mengwong used to tow a 22' Airstream without WD and had no trouble.

It's your call, but if you think you'll be in strong crosswinds at any speed, it is worth consideration.

Reactions: wreighven
Thank you @ohmman. I will research the ReCurve R3 since it seems to be very recommended.

I'll echo what @ohmman said above. I, also, was determined to not go the WD hitch route. Called an audible at the last minute and decided to do so. I'm quite glad I did... the lack of sway and confidence I have when towing was well, well worth it. The ReCurve is a neat design; it's a little different than most.

The ballhead itself swivels with an adjustable friction pad to control sway. The actual weight distributing bars attach "over the top" rather than underneath with a snap plate like most of the other WDH's. I really, really like the design. Super easy to install and remove. It takes me about 90 seconds to dehitch at a Supercharger because it's so easy. No fussing around at all.

Got my hitch installed a week ago Friday, and was told by the Airstream dealer this past Friday that my BaseCamp 20X had just arrived (but due to staffing issues they’ll need a week to prep it before I can pick it up). Targeting the weekend of 9/10 for my first Tesla + Airstream adventure.

Thank you all for letting me live vicariously through these and related posts the last couple of years. I plan on giving back to other lurkers through some posts of my own in the future.

• Love
Reactions: dmurphy and ohmman
Got my hitch installed a week ago Friday, and was told by the Airstream dealer this past Friday that my BaseCamp 20X had just arrived (but due to staffing issues they’ll need a week to prep it before I can pick it up). Targeting the weekend of 9/10 for my first Tesla + Airstream adventure.

Thank you all for letting me live vicariously through these and related posts the last couple of years. I plan on giving back to other lurkers through some posts of my own in the future.

Congratulations!! I can’t wait to see some photos of the Basecamp. I’ve always wanted an Airstream, but we’re starting with a small Surveyor. One day ….

Please start a new thread about your BaseCamp 20X towing experience and your Wh/mi numbers when you have some data. I’ve read up about that new Airstream model and it looks like it has some real advantages over the shorter BaseCamp. Congrats on your purchase!

Will do! Picking it up tomorrow. So excited…
Dying to know wh/mile at 60, 65, 70 and 75!

At 75 with bikes and box on our Y we get 350-400

PXL_20210904_220115780.MP.jpg

For those of us who have an early 2016 which has no towing package and no Bosal hitch-I just had Uhaul install the Draw Tite and added the wiring dongle purchased over the counter for 39 dollars. When I plugged in the tester in the back, all light are working and blue towing light comes on the dashboard. Looks like all it needs is resistance to know to enable the towing software. Once again, I have no towing package installed and have not paid Tesla to enable anything. I am one happy boater.
Same thanks to everyone's generous sharing of information. I'm finally deciding to install the Draw Tite hitch. Right now Autozone has it for 195, plus a 20% off SHOP4FALL coupon. Can't beat it. @gluz24 can you please tell me what the part number for the wiring dongle is? Is it 1046032-00-C? Did you get it from your SC?

Hello Everyone,

I'm looking at the etrailer listing for draw-tite. Apart from the "Not Rated for Weight Distributed systems", it explicitly mentions the that it is "not allowed". Is this a newer change? I'm buying a Airstream Bambi 16rb from Bay Area Airstream adventures. @ohmman I see that you mentioned Bay Area Airstream previously. Are they familiar with this set up? I really want to have WD and sway control.

Screen Shot 2021-12-19 at 2.44.17 PM.png
=

I'm looking at the etrailer listing for draw-tite. Apart from the "Not Rated for Weight Distributed systems", it explicitly mentions the that it is "not allowed". Is this a newer change?
See post #205 by @ohmman on this page.
I'm buying a Airstream Bambi 16rb from Bay Area Airstream adventures. @ohmman I see that you mentioned Bay Area Airstream previously. Are they familiar with this set up? I really want to have WD and sway control.
A web search tells me that trailer has a 2,900 lb dry weight. Add in a few hundred pounds for water and other stuff for a towing weight of around 3,200 lbs. If you have a Tesla 100D it weighs about 5,400 lbs, plus two people and baggage brings it up to around 5,800 lbs. You should use a WD hitch if your trailer weight exceeds 50% of the tow vehicle weight. For more WD hitch info see https://www.etrailer.com/faq-weightdistribution.aspx

My trailer weighs about 2,300 lbs loaded and I tow with the stock Bosal hitch. Have not had any issues. For trailers weighing more than around 2,900 lbs I think that a WD hitch is a very good idea when towing with an X.

towing_newbie - I am also getting a Bambu16rb from Bay Area Airstream adventures, coming in Feb. When I talked with them they did recommend WD and sway control hitches, specifically the Blue Ox of Equalizer. They also had set-up other Tesla's for towing. I have not made it any further than that yet but suggest talking with them. DM me too and we can exchange emails and I can send over some other info they sent me.

Hello Fraslin, I am buying a pre-owned Bambi 16rb. So I'll likely get mine before February. We're shooting for third week of January. I'll DM you with my email.

When I talked to them about how the WD hitch causes deformation of the stock Bosal Hitch receiver, they mentioned that they won't be able to replace the hitch receiver on the Tesla. They said they will be able to refer me to a truck shop that will do it. I'm looking to replace the Bosal receiver with the Draw-Tite that @ohmman has mentioned.

Reactions: Fraslin