Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Draw-Tite Aftermarket Receiver Package

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A web search tells me that trailer has a 2,900 lb dry weight. Add in a few hundred pounds for water and other stuff for a towing weight of around 3,200 lbs. If you have a Tesla 100D it weighs about 5,400 lbs, plus two people and baggage brings it up to around 5,800 lbs. You should use a WD hitch if your trailer weight exceeds 50% of the tow vehicle weight. For more WD hitch info see https://www.etrailer.com/faq-weightdistribution.aspx

My trailer weighs about 2,300 lbs loaded and I tow with the stock Bosal hitch. Have not had any issues. For trailers weighing more than around 2,900 lbs I think that a WD hitch is a very good idea when towing with an X.

I've also been reading that the weight distribution system can damage the Unibody construction. Is there any more information on this? @ohmman any comments on the risks related to using WD system on unibody construction?

towing_newbie - I am also getting a Bambu16rb from Bay Area Airstream adventures, coming in Feb. When I talked with them they did recommend WD and sway control hitches, specifically the Blue Ox of Equalizer. They also had set-up other Tesla's for towing. I have not made it any further than that yet but suggest talking with them. DM me too and we can exchange emails and I can send over some other info they sent me.
How do I DM? I'm not able to find an option to send a direct message.

@towing_newbie, the explicit warning about the hitch being incompatible with weight distribution is new vs. when I purchased my first one. It did not specifically say that it was engineered for weight distribution, but it also didn't advise against it. I towed my 22' Sport for 3 years on my last Draw-Tite with an Equal-i-zer hitch, and have put about 3000 miles on my new Draw-Tite that I mounted on my new X. I have noticed no issues with deformation. Bay Area Airstream was informed by me of the deformation of the Tesla hitch and the fact that they should never set up customers with a stock hitch and weight distribution. They seem to have been adhering to that guidance, but you are correct they will not do work on your vehicle.

In another thread, I discussed my concerns about a unibody vehicle. When I spoke with Tesla engineering about this years ago, they told me that the skateboard platform doesn't really qualify as a unibody construction since there is a base frame with limited flexibility. Once more, I haven't had issues yet with the setup (and I don't believe @JimVandegriff has either, who has towed with the same X for longer than I have). That is not to say that it is an ideal configuration.

• Informative
Reactions: outdoors
@towing_newbie, the explicit warning about the hitch being incompatible with weight distribution is new vs. when I purchased my first one. It did not specifically say that it was engineered for weight distribution, but it also didn't advise against it. I towed my 22' Sport for 3 years on my last Draw-Tite with an Equal-i-zer hitch, and have put about 3000 miles on my new Draw-Tite that I mounted on my new X. I have noticed no issues with deformation. Bay Area Airstream was informed by me of the deformation of the Tesla hitch and the fact that they should never set up customers with a stock hitch and weight distribution. They seem to have been adhering to that guidance, but you are correct they will not do work on your vehicle.

In another thread, I discussed my concerns about a unibody vehicle. When I spoke with Tesla engineering about this years ago, they told me that the skateboard platform doesn't really qualify as a unibody construction since there is a base frame with limited flexibility. Once more, I haven't had issues yet with the setup (and I don't believe @JimVandegriff has either, who has towed with the same X for longer than I have). That is not to say that it is an ideal configuration.
That sounds good!

I am not that handy with the car. Can you recommend me any place that will install the draw-tite on my X?

What are your thoughts on the new Andersen weight distribution hitch? I'm considering using this with the draw-tite.

I was also reading about friction sway control without weight distribution. Any pros and cons for that approach?

I am not that handy with the car. Can you recommend me any place that will install the draw-tite on my X?
I cannot recommend an installer since I installed both myself.
What are your thoughts on the new Andersen weight distribution hitch? I'm considering using this with the draw-tite.
The specs look fine but I don't know anything more about it.
I was also reading about friction sway control without weight distribution. Any pros and cons for that approach?
I'm not sure which system you're talking about, since in my experience the weight distribution tension is what causes friction anti-sway. Perhaps you can show me a system that you're considering. There are mechanical anti-sway hitches that do not require friction, like the ProPride, and those are well suited for relatively lightweight trailers. I have noted that my Equal-i-zer only requires the minimum setting in order to balance the rig, and because of that the friction component of anti-sway is also at its minimum. I've considered mechanical alternatives for that reason - I don't actually think the weight distribution feature is terribly important with my ~410-430lb tongue weight. I am in it for the anti-sway.

That said, my system has been stable and secure for many thousands of miles in many types of conditions, including stiff crosswinds with tractor trailers blocking and then exposing the rig to those cross-winds. We even watched a tractor-trailer shell tear apart from the wind on one of our last camping trips. Freaky stuff, but our rig was solid so I'm likely to just roll with it - literally.

I cannot recommend an installer since I installed both myself.

The specs look fine but I don't know anything more about it.

I'm not sure which system you're talking about, since in my experience the weight distribution tension is what causes friction anti-sway. Perhaps you can show me a system that you're considering. There are mechanical anti-sway hitches that do not require friction, like the ProPride, and those are well suited for relatively lightweight trailers. I have noted that my Equal-i-zer only requires the minimum setting in order to balance the rig, and because of that the friction component of anti-sway is also at its minimum. I've considered mechanical alternatives for that reason - I don't actually think the weight distribution feature is terribly important with my ~410-430lb tongue weight. I am in it for the anti-sway.

That said, my system has been stable and secure for many thousands of miles in many types of conditions, including stiff crosswinds with tractor trailers blocking and then exposing the rig to those cross-winds. We even watched a tractor-trailer shell tear apart from the wind on one of our last camping trips. Freaky stuff, but our rig was solid so I'm likely to just roll with it - literally.
If I go for a anti away hitch without weight distribution, is it still a better idea to replace the bosal with draw-tite?

I am trying to find anti away hitches without WD but didn't find one yet. Do you know of one? I was looking at this friction sway kit https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/Reese/83660.html

If I go for a anti away hitch without weight distribution, is it still a better idea to replace the bosal with draw-tite?

I am trying to find anti away hitches without WD but didn't find one yet. Do you know of one? I was looking at this friction sway kit https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/Reese/83660.html
I mentioned the ProPride in my previous post. That’s been the gold standard for mechanical anti-sway.

I will always replace my X hitch with a Draw-Tite regardless of the rig. The Bosal mechanism doesn’t instill confidence for me.

I will always replace my X hitch with a Draw-Tite regardless of the rig. The Bosal mechanism doesn’t instill confidence for me.
I agree completely. It’s also not rated for more than a .75” rise which just doesn’t work for dang near anything.

I get the aesthetic value for Tesla, but I still think it’s a poor choice of hitch.

Hi all - first off, a huge thanks for this thread and everyone that has participated in it. After getting our X, I started exploring the tow capabilities and came across this discussion. It really opened my eyes to how limited the stock hitch is.

In addition, this thread gave me the confidence to take on the DrawTite installation myself, despite being very unhandy for the most part. On the positive side, I was able to remove everything and get the new hitch on problem free. On the negative side, I made a major screwup and put the hole for the 7-pin too far back. After taking the bumper off and putting it back on three times, it finally dawned on me that the plug was butting up against the frame of the X, making it impossible to line up the holes on the bottom.

Anyone have any ideas for plugging this hole (besides for me to leave this to a professional next time)?

13EE6C50-14AF-4CC4-B82F-358421DF1E89.jpeg

Anyone have any ideas for plugging this hole (besides for me to leave this to a professional next time)?
Do a search online for plastic hole plugs. Find one that matches the diameter of your cutout and check the way it snaps into place. If it has enough clearance for the thickness of that underbody panel, you should be able to get it into place. I'd check for fitment and if it looks good, use epoxy to make it permanent.

I would guess yes, but can’t be sure. They haven’t changed the bolt pattern since inception.

Speaking of bolt patterns…. Here’s a question. Have you gone back and checked torque on the hitch bolts after using the Draw Tite for a while?

42 ft lbs of torque just doesn’t seem like a ton to me, and I have these horrible images in my head of the nuts backing out due to the weight being pulled.

Would probably feel better if these were castle nuts, but the price just goes up that way.

Hi,
I just want to report in that I have a refresh Model X long range 2022 5-seater. I installed this Draw-tite hitch and it's working great. The instructions have changed slightly - there's one less torx bit you'll need, and I don't think you have to remove as much of the plastic undercarriage section (I did though because I was following the instructions and trying not to stray off the beaten path too much since I did this less than 24 hours after taking delivery of the car).
The hitch is working great and I'm using it to tow a 2022 Airstream Caravel 22FB. I get almost exactly 1/2 the estimated mileage shown in the car on freeways in california staying at or under 60 mph. Hills and frequent stops have a minor or moderate impact. I have no sway or equalizer stuff and have had no issues so far. The only thing to note is that the brake controller harness was missing when I took delivery - thankfully I was able to poach one from a 2020 model X I had bought while waiting for this new model.

Glad you like the Draw-Tite. We have had ours for 14 months now on a 2017 mx 100. The thing has been awesome.

We are getting a new wake boat on weekend that will tip the scales at 6000 lbs with trailer. I am tempted to trailer it the short 10k route to boat launch but currently have a friend on standby with old gas F150. How heavy is your Airstream?