Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drive disabled for software update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Went to drive just now and got this alert, after which it helpfully says "Please wait for software update to complete". No update is being installed. Hard reset (wheel buttons + brake pedal) is disabled. Power off works but message persists.

A post on another part of the forum suggested it was a 2020.4.1 bug that kicks in on day 50 after the update installed. I am at day 50! I wonder what will happen to all those other cars reaching day 50.

2017 75D

Problem resolved after 8 hours, so posting solution (if it was) in case it helps anyone.

A post elsewhere on the forum suggested that " Drive disabled for software update" appears 50 days after upgrade to 2020 4.1 if the car has not entered deep sleep over that time.

I have Teslafi that may have been set to no sleeping. The issue appeared at exactly 50 days after upgrade to 4.1.

I did:

1. Email to [email protected] - no response, as expected on a Sunday.
2. Set Teslafi to allow sleep and deep sleep
3. Turn off "always connected" in Control, Display. "Energy Saving" was on.
4. "Cabin overheat protection" in Safety and Security was set to off (3 and 4 are recommended in Teslafi support info)

When I checked via the Tesla app six hours later, it woke up from sleep and will now drive.

Don't know if it was fixed by any of the steps above or just resolved on its own.

• Informative
Reactions: David29
Problem resolved after 8 hours, so posting solution (if it was) in case it helps anyone.

A post elsewhere on the forum suggested that " Drive disabled for software update" appears 50 days after upgrade to 2020 4.1 if the car has not entered deep sleep over that time.

I have Teslafi that may have been set to no sleeping. The issue appeared at exactly 50 days after upgrade to 4.1.

I did:

1. Email to [email protected] - no response, as expected on a Sunday.
2. Set Teslafi to allow sleep and deep sleep
3. Turn off "always connected" in Control, Display. "Energy Saving" was on.
4. "Cabin overheat protection" in Safety and Security was set to off (3 and 4 are recommended in Teslafi support info)

When I checked via the Tesla app six hours later, it woke up from sleep and will now drive.

Don't know if it was fixed by any of the steps above or just resolved on its own.
Went to drive just now and got this alert, after which it helpfully says "Please wait for software update to complete". No update is being installed. Hard reset (wheel buttons + brake pedal) is disabled. Power off works but message persists.

A post on another part of the forum suggested it was a 2020.4.1 bug that kicks in on day 50 after the update installed. I am at day 50! I wonder what will happen to all those other cars reaching day 50.

2017 75D

2017 75D

I had the same issue! SW update warning blocked my car for 3 days!
The above solution did not work for me. My Tesla phone app did not have contact with my Model S.

I solved this as follows:
1) Inside the car SW MAIN MENU: Click on SERVICE. Then click on WHEEL DIMENSION.
2) Change the wheels dimension in the CAR to any other dimension.
3) Remember the original dimension you have!
4) Press OK.
5) This forces the car software to restart!
6) Both screens go black and restart.
7) The warning disappeared! Car is drivable again!
8) Change the wheels dimension back to the original dimensions! Good! The warning is gone.
9) You can drive the car again. Easy!
Greetings,
Franz

Another thanks to Aviator01. I performed your wheel configuration trick on my 2015 Model S and it did the trick. I was on hold with Tech support at the time and told him about the trick. He said he had been with Tesla tech support for over 2 years and never heard of this, but was going to write it down so he could use it in the future if necessary. Well done!