Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drive through car wash

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Use an automatic wash all the time. It's a two tunnel system. I stay in the car through the first tunnel while it washes. Then it goes on a second conveyor while they do the interior. I have trained their folks on how to put the car in tow mode and I leave the screen up so they don't have to search for it. No problems at all. And yes, keep your seatbelt on and your butt in the seat while going through in neutral. I learned that the hard way also but fortunately nothing was behind me ;-)

Also, I put my suspension in high mode just to be safe.

So people are ignoring this about car washes?
Tesla Car Wash.JPG

I assumed, because of this message, that the paint finish sucks and needs gentle treatment (i.e., maybe it doesn't have additives that harden the coat that also interferes with external sensors).

I recently took my S to a hand car wash and when applying the soap using a brush using a light touch trying to only have the foam touch the car. Despite that, my wife, two days later, found a mark on the car door (maybe from washing the car?). Or is it just a standard warning on all cars that if the car wash takes off a sensor or mirror that it's not covered by warranty? Did I over react to the Caution? The car washes that touch the car with the massaging rags look pretty harmless (no whirring brushes).

And on that mark on the side of the car ... should I try a buffer?

In addition to what's been mentioned here: My S would leak through the Pano Roof in touchless car washes. It would drip through the rails or the rear-seat reading lights (weird, yes). The SC kept it for over a week and replaced the appliques on either side of the glass, and it seems to have resolved the problem. But I recommend that you turn around and look for water leaks during the high-pressure rinse.

So people are ignoring this about car washes?
View attachment 367304

I assumed, because of this message, that the paint finish sucks and needs gentle treatment (i.e., maybe it doesn't have additives that harden the coat that also interferes with external sensors).

I recently took my S to a hand car wash and when applying the soap using a brush using a light touch trying to only have the foam touch the car. Despite that, my wife, two days later, found a mark on the car door (maybe from washing the car?). Or is it just a standard warning on all cars that if the car wash takes off a sensor or mirror that it's not covered by warranty? Did I over react to the Caution? The car washes that touch the car with the massaging rags look pretty harmless (no whirring brushes).

And on that mark on the side of the car ... should I try a buffer?

I’d try a little polish on a clean soft cloth and rub by hand first. If that didn’t do it, you can use some rubbing compound which is more aggresive, still by hand. I’d read a bunch about buffers before trying one. The random orbit buffers are the safest. The professionals use a spinning type buffer, those are aggressive and can go through the paint to bare metal on edges or creases if one isn’t experienced or isn’t careful. There isn’t much harm you can do with polish by hand and it can be amazing for shallow surface scratches. The polish doesn’t have wax in it so you’ll probably want to use a surface protection product on the area afterwards.

There is a website associated with “Griot’s Garage” that will tell you all you want to know about caring for your paint, washing, little scratches, and even removing the orange peel that people have mentioned above.

I’d try a little polish on a clean soft cloth and rub by hand first. If that didn’t do it, you can use some rubbing compound which is more aggresive, still by hand. I’d read a bunch about buffers before trying one. The random orbit buffers are the safest. The professionals use a spinning type buffer, those are aggressive and can go through the paint to bare metal on edges or creases if one isn’t experienced or isn’t careful. There isn’t much harm you can do with polish by hand and it can be amazing for shallow surface scratches. The polish doesn’t have wax in it so you’ll probably want to use a surface protection product on the area afterwards.

There is a website associated with “Griot’s Garage” that will tell you all you want to know about caring for your paint, washing, little scratches, and even removing the orange peel that people have mentioned above.
Thanks

I went through one a couple weeks ago and came out with some fine scratches and one deeper scratche. This could just be an isolated issue with the wash I went through. I assume the brushes had maybe some debris in it that caused it? Nevertheless, going back to hand washing