Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drive unit broke

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After my recent Tesla experience, I regret purchasing my Tesla Model Y. In March of 2021, I bought my Tesla and was beyond ecstatic for my new ride and performance of the car.

On September 23, 2021, I drove to Schuylkill Haven, PA, from Front Royal, VA, to attend a family event in remembrance of my late parents at our family Temple (Vraj). On my drive to our Temple, I went to use the restroom at McDonald's in Pottsville, PA, and once I came back into the car and was about to start driving, I received two messages on my Tesla screen:

• The electrical system is unable to support all features. Shutting down parts to conserve energy
  • Vehicle may not restart service is required.
After viewing this message on the screen and the Tesla not starting, I accessed the Tesla app through my phone to try and receive Roadside Assistance. I received a letter arranging for my Tesla to get towed to the nearest service center. The nearest service center was about 80 miles in Lancaster, PA, from my current location at the incident. The Tesla Service Center arranged for a rental car from Enterprise, but I faced another issue. I was only in Schuylkill Haven, PA, for the weekend leaving Sunday, and I had no vehicle to reach Temple. Enterprise was closed until Monday, September 27, 2021. I had no way of going to my Temple and getting home to VA on Sunday without a vehicle. I was stranded in the middle of nowhere with barely any service. I waited 3.5 hours for someone to tow my Tesla. In that amount of time, I was hungry and attempted to go through the drive-thru at McDonald's without a car, and I was denied service because I did not have a vehicle. Due to COVID-19 restrictions, the inside of McDonald's was closed for service, and the only drive-thru was open. Not only did I not have a working vehicle, but I also did not get service at Mcdonald’s when my car was not working and parked in their parking lot. I have never felt so unsafe in my life as the only Asian in the town.

I had to call my family friend, who is 125 miles from my Pottsville, PA location. I had to wait almost 5 hours for a tow and someone to pick me up from Pottsville. I had to stay at my friend's house because I did not have a vehicle and could retrieve my rental car after 2 pm on Monday, September 27, 2021. I drove to my house in Front Royal on Monday, and on October 1, 2021, I received a message saying that the car was ready for pick-up and that they could not drop off the vehicle at my residence. Now, I drove 181 miles out of my way to pick up my Tesla.

Man, you have my sympathies, looks like everything which could possibly go wrong went wrong. Tesla needs to fix their service, which is currently one of the worst for luxury cars. While Tesla is racing to deliver more cars every quarter, their service infrastructure has not been ramped up to service the growing number of cars in the road outside major metros. With another 241K cars delivered this quarter, may be 50% in US, we have another 100K cars in the US which will hit the roads soon adding to the woes of cars that need roadside attention.