Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drive unit replacement with upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took in my 2017 Model S 75 RWD (19k miles) into the SC this week as I had been noticing a weird humming noise. After two test drives the SC said they'd need to replace the drive unit. On the invoice the replacement part that was used is ASY,P-TRAIN,RMN,MDLS,SPORT,CMC,HS 1025598-00-T. I'm a bit confused that the DU that was installed is of type SPORT since I do not have a performance model. Anyone else had a similar situation? Wondering if they maybe just install the SPORT for simplicity and there is a software limit in place that makes it a non-sport.

RWD cars used the "large" rear drive unit that is also installed in performance models.

RWD: large rear drive unit
AWD non-performance: small rear drive unit and small front drive unit
AWD performance: large rear drive unit and small front drive unit

Since the RWD isn't made any more and the only application for the big rear unit is in the performance models, I suspect they've changed the part name to reflect that. But it's the same part.

What is the date of manufacture of your car? 2017 had DU01 option codes added to cars after June 14th. I was always curious if a pre June car would ever get a post June replacement drive unit, whether Tesla would add the option code and whether those cars would be automatically uncorked.

Reactions: MIT_S60
What is the date of manufacture of your car? 2017 had DU01 option codes added to cars after June 14th. I was always curious if a pre June car would ever get a post June replacement drive unit, whether Tesla would add the option code and whether those cars would be automatically uncorked.

June 2017 based on my VIN number. Not sure of the exact date or how I'd find out

I've tried to get tesla to tell me if they put a new pyrofuse in my 75kwh pack when they replaced it in 2017 along with the drive unit but they wont provide any info. Any way to tell other than looking at the fuse?

I would have assumed it would have been stated on the invoice or work order. Tesla replaced the pryrofuse on our Nov 13 built S85 earlier this year when they replaced the drive unit (bearing noise), HV battery contactors, HVAC drain hose, and 12V battery after we received this series of dash warnings:

"acceleration and top speed reduced"
"service needed: car may not restart"
"regenerative braking system disabled"

All the replacement parts were listed in the work order and invoice. I'm not sure why they wouldn't tell you one way or the other.

I would have assumed it would have been stated on the invoice or work order. Tesla replaced the pryrofuse on our Nov 13 built S85 earlier this year when they replaced the drive unit (bearing noise), HV battery contactors, HVAC drain hose, and 12V battery after we received this series of dash warnings:

"acceleration and top speed reduced"
"service needed: car may not restart"
"regenerative braking system disabled"

All the replacement parts were listed in the work order and invoice. I'm not sure why they wouldn't tell you one way or the other.
All the work to my S was done before I purchased it and tesla won't provide me the details other than telling me the drive unit, battery, mcu were replaced in 2017

June 2017 based on my VIN number. Not sure of the exact date or how I'd find out
They used to tell you the week if you asked, but I am pretty sure nobody will do that anymore. Also no easy way to pull option codes anymore either. June is tough. Could go either way.

The power difference in DU01 is 30kW but the torque difference is like 100Nm.

If you ever pull the canbus data off your car during a 0-60 test you can tell what version you have now. Not sure I would bother. It is what it is. Just enjoy it.

Last edited:
I took in my 2017 Model S 75 RWD (19k miles) into the SC this week as I had been noticing a weird humming noise. After two test drives the SC said they'd need to replace the drive unit. On the invoice the replacement part that was used is ASY,P-TRAIN,RMN,MDLS,SPORT,CMC,HS 1025598-00-T. I'm a bit confused that the DU that was installed is of type SPORT since I do not have a performance model. Anyone else had a similar situation? Wondering if they maybe just install the SPORT for simplicity and there is a software limit in place that makes it a non-sport.

Howell, I am new to the forums and wanted to ask a question about this particular part. I have a 2012 model S signature performance that needs a new Drive unit according to the Seattle service Center. The part number is similar to the part number posted here, ending in T. My question is this: does the drive unit ending in T have the ceramic bearings?

thanks!

Howell, I am new to the forums and wanted to ask a question about this particular part. I have a 2012 model S signature performance that needs a new Drive unit according to the Seattle service Center. The part number is similar to the part number posted here, ending in T. My question is this: does the drive unit ending in T have the ceramic bearings?

thanks!
I don't really keep up to date on what part numbers were built when... But I've got a pretty good idea of when Tesla switched to putting ceramic bearings in the drive units. Has the drive unit ever been replaced in the past? If so, when? If it has never been replaced, then it definitely has steel bearings...

We rebuild drive units at the shop where I work on a weekly basis (in fact, I think we will have complete 4 this week by the end of the day today). It could be a much cheaper alternative to having the service center replace your drive unit. A full overhaul at our shop cost's $4,000, and includes a new rotor coolant seal, new bearings (hybrid ceramic), a comprehensive inspection of all wearing parts, and of course new lubricants for the splines and gearbox.

We're in Vista California, but I would expect even if you shipped the car down here, it would still be much cheaper than the new drive unit from Tesla, and by the way, we get cars shipped here from all over the country. In fact, right now we have another car here from the Seattle area, one from Louisiana, and another that should be on it's way soon from Connecticut.

I don't really keep up to date on what part numbers were built when... But I've got a pretty good idea of when Tesla switched to putting ceramic bearings in the drive units. Has the drive unit ever been replaced in the past? If so, when? If it has never been replaced, then it definitely has steel bearings...

We rebuild drive units at the shop where I work on a weekly basis (in fact, I think we will have complete 4 this week by the end of the day today). It could be a much cheaper alternative to having the service center replace your drive unit. A full overhaul at our shop cost's $4,000, and includes a new rotor coolant seal, new bearings (hybrid ceramic), a comprehensive inspection of all wearing parts, and of course new lubricants for the splines and gearbox.

We're in Vista California, but I would expect even if you shipped the car down here, it would still be much cheaper than the new drive unit from Tesla, and by the way, we get cars shipped here from all over the country. In fact, right now we have another car here from the Seattle area, one from Louisiana, and another that should be on it's way soon from Connecticut.
AJ, thank you for this reply. Due to Tesla policies, I was unable to find out if the DU had ever been replaced. Due to my experience with the Seattle service center and Tesla corporate, I decided to sell the Tesla. I plan to purchase an F-150 electric when they are released.

That said, I appreciate knowing that there are other service options for Tesla owners. Should I choose to purchase another Tesla, I will absolutely keep your shop in mind!

Reactions: ajbessinger
Can you confirm after getting your car back, was there any improvement in performance?