Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driver Centric Center Display

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bump for update (<cough shroud!>)?

:)

Hi Roentgen,
I have a few current prototypes which require you to align the top and bottom halves of the shroud. You will then need to use two included 5mm Allen screws to attach the two pieces. A little difficult to do as you will need to get to the bottom of the display. But it does not require you to disconnect the display.
I also drew up a new prototype which will just snap into place. This version will require the removal of the current shroud, disconnecting the display plug, removing the OEM shroud, and reconnecting the display plug.. They will however be more difficult to separate later. I am waiting for a shipment of metal clips to make this happen.
In the mean time, I did play with a few different screen/bracket angles as we have discussed. After driving with each versions, I do like the current version best.
Let me know which shroud you prefer.
CJ

Hi Roentgen,
I have a few current prototypes which require you to align the top and bottom halves of the shroud. You will then need to use two included 5mm Allen screws to attach the two pieces. A little difficult to do as you will need to get to the bottom of the display. But it does not require you to disconnect the display.
I also drew up a new prototype which will just snap into place. This version will require the removal of the current shroud, disconnecting the display plug, removing the OEM shroud, and reconnecting the display plug.. They will however be more difficult to separate later. I am waiting for a shipment of metal clips to make this happen.
In the mean time, I did play with a few different screen/bracket angles as we have discussed. After driving with each versions, I do like the current version best.
CJ

So the first prototype screws in place over the existing shroud (assumed since you said the display doesn't need to be disconnected), vs new prototype which is snap in, but requires display disconnect and OEM shroud removal?

My personal preference is the one that is more easily reversible should Service need to get in to do anything, which would be your first alternative. Judging by your pictures from a couple weeks ago, it doesn't look like access to those screws would particularly difficult, but of course it's really hard to say without attempting it in person. I would also assume that removing the shroud with alternative 1 would also be less likely to damage as one wouldn't have to exert as much force in separating the two halves.

The second alternative sounds like an attempt at making it more user friendly to install, which is definitely a laudable goal. I suppose if it's an initial install of both the brackets and the shroud at the same time, then it's no big deal since you're in there anyway - 2-3 extra steps after you take the display off the original brackets. Would also cut down on the form factor and material required to cover if the OEM shroud is gone. Maybe this also allows for a more elegant install of the extra LEDs and wiring?

I guess I can see the benefits of both styles. But for me, I think the reversibility factor is most important, as I would not want to risk damage to the shroud should I need to take it off for any reason. I'm sure you have many other considerations to factor in since you've actually designed and installed these already. I can only imagine the issues that might arise.

And THANKS for the update!!!

Hi Roentgen,
CJ

Oh yeah, and I guess there are no issues disconnecting the screen? Do you need to power down the car first or something? Or can you just unplug it no problem?

• Informative
Reactions: lianregnif
Hi guys,
I finally found some free time over the weekend to work on the current revision of the shroud.

It is smaller than the previous and fits better.

20190418_181618.jpg

Attaches with friction. No screws or clips. Makes installation and removal much easier.
To me it looks much more OEM.

20190421_143135.jpg

20190421_143605.jpg

20190421_143637.jpg

The installation of the LED is a little bit more challenging for non DIYer as it requires you to thread a wire from the right side of the console up into that space.

20190421_143952.jpg

What do you think?

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: KenC and Roentgen
Regarding the brackets, the local CNC shop finally got back to me regarding the cost. For this small production run, it is prohibitively expensive and that is with a pretty good family discount.

I am now exploring the idea of having a cast mold made, Working on a few prototypes of those at the moment to make sure of appropriate tolerance. Initial cost won't be any cheaper, but at least I'll have the mold to produce more as needed.

I am happier with the shroud design and am looking into injection molding for these.

CJ

Regarding the brackets, the local CNC shop finally got back to me regarding the cost. For this small production run, it is prohibitively expensive and that is with a pretty good family discount.

I am now exploring the idea of having a cast mold made, Working on a few prototypes of those at the moment to make sure of appropriate tolerance. Initial cost won't be any cheaper, but at least I'll have the mold to produce more as needed.

I am happier with the shroud design and am looking into injection molding for these.

CJ

Sorry to hear about how the projected costs are turning out. This is an awesome mod, and I think a no brainer for most drivers.

As for the new shroud, it looks like all one piece? I don't see seams anymore. It slips on like a sleeve over the display neck, replacing the OEM? It does look great! I assume you wrapped it with that matrix stuff...

Sorry to hear about how the projected costs are turning out. This is an awesome mod, and I think a no brainer for most drivers.

As for the new shroud, it looks like all one piece? I don't see seams anymore. It slips on like a sleeve over the display neck, replacing the OEM? It does look great! I assume you wrapped it with that matrix stuff...

Yep, shroud is a one piece sleeve.
Mine is covered with 3M matrix black vinyl.
Final version will be dark gray like the original.

I love to design and build these things. I am just not good at mass producing them.
There is just not enough time on my schedule and that part is not as interesting.

Help is on the way though.
This will happen along with our other model 3 projects.

CJ

Since this looks like it may be on hold for the foreseeable future, would you consider sharing the 3D models of the brackets and shroud? I have access to a 3D printer with carbon fiber capabilities and would love to give this a try.
Additionally, I can see the mount for the light in the shroud, but what is the purpose of the white strip and the 2 round bumpers?

Since this looks like it may be on hold for the foreseeable future, would you consider sharing the 3D models of the brackets and shroud? I have access to a 3D printer with carbon fiber capabilities and would love to give this a try.
Additionally, I can see the mount for the light in the shroud, but what is the purpose of the white strip and the 2 round bumpers?

Hi RV,

The project is actually moving along well.
We have already lined up manufacturers for both the mount and shroud.
I am making some final tweaks in the design now before handing off the drawings.
The OCD in me is causing most of the delays now.
This is what I am playing with in the lab:

20190509_175813.jpg

It is the aluminum casting version.
Final product will be sand blasted die cast aluminum.

Regarding the shroud, the white strip is the light.
The other strip is the thermosensor mount.
The two round objects are plugs to cover the mount screws.
But, I've made some changes to that design.
All those four objects will now be incorporated into a single panel.

Reactions: preilly44
You could license the design to someone. Be like Kevin O’Leary.

I wish I knew Mr. O'Leary. Would have gladly hand over the projects as I am not a good businessman.
I am just not that interested in the manufacturing/sales sides of things.
But as I wrote in a previous post, I did enlisted some help, and he will handle all that aspect of it from now on.
This will give me time to play on more projects.

Thanks,
CJ

I wish I knew Mr. O'Leary. Would have gladly hand over the projects as I am not a good businessman.
I am just not that interested in the manufacturing/sales sides of things.
But as I wrote in a previous post, I did enlisted some help, and he will handle all that aspect of it from now on.
This will give me time to play on more projects.

Thanks,
CJ

@chojn1,

Let me just say myself and the entire community appreciate all you’ve done and the massive amount of personal time and work both you and your son have put into the projects you’ve both worked on! Still LOVING everything I purchased to help your son and his non-profit along (one of EVERYTHING)! I smile at them every time I climb into my car and use them!:)

Ski

Hi guys,
I finally found some free time over the weekend to work on the current revision of the shroud.

It is smaller than the previous and fits better.

View attachment 399246

Attaches with friction. No screws or clips. Makes installation and removal much easier.
To me it looks much more OEM.

View attachment 399247

View attachment 399249

View attachment 399250

The installation of the LED is a little bit more challenging for non DIYer as it requires you to thread a wire from the right side of the console up into that space.

View attachment 399258

What do you think?

I love it and will order in a flash once available.

Reactions: chojn1 and Neon001